Your Sweater Weather, Is My Shorts’ Time to Shine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

(UNH Thompson Hall Lawn: Meghan O’Brien ’20 – Maura Dooley ’19 – Meghan Murphy (Me) ’20)

It’s amazing how much the weather influences our mood, well my mood. I can only speak for anyone who is me; so just the one. Sunny days change your outlook on life. There’s something spectacular and comforting about the first few days that clearly transition from winter into spring. It could be that the atmospheric warmth melts most of the snow and ice, but more importantly the somewhat mental freeze that the culture endures for months on end.

I can only sympathize with New England as I come from, and go to school in, New Hampshire. On the East Coast, snow seems to be as common from late October to Early March, as the Super Bowl rings on Tom Brady’s finger. I can’t say I’m snow’s biggest fan but, being the photo enthusiast I am, the frosty precipitation tends to be an icon of images; even more so on the UNH campus.

Although, the colder months are very different at college. For me, my mood declines in winter generally, but in a new environment without my previous support system at home, it makes it that much more difficult to find a smile each day. There are many mornings I really feel like I can’t physically get out of my bed to get to rowing practice because of 1) how tired and sore I am from the day before, 2) the temperature is below freezing outside, and/or 3) I’ve run out of dry socks from insensitively trudging through the snow in my sneakers.

So, on those initial days of spring it’s easy for me to take advantage of nature’s sunny gift. I can remember just recently when the warmer weather began to make its first true appearance; in the form of a fantastic rowing practice, students in tank tops and, sparse patches of mud and brown grass amidst campus. The weather has put me in a summer daze that has infected me with a lesser interest in going to class, sun burns, and increase in deodorant use. For the past few days it has been above 70 degrees in Durham, NH and everyone is outdoors.

Living in New England toughens up my blood for sure, but more importantly, it makes me appreciate all of the seasons especially those that are warm. I am a particularly a big fan of spring and summer and so is my mood. Being a student on the UNH Campus, it seems like a common interest.

“The Natural World” Creative Nonfiction Writing Prompt from Poets&Writers

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!