Yeah You got Swagga’—but it Doesn’t Really Matta’ You’ll Never Have Swagga’ Like Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

For all of you out there who continuously strike out at getting the opposite sex to like you, listen up…it’s all about the swag. The good ole’s saying “you always want what you can’t have,” has always and will always hold true in today’s society. Boys: you play it off like you don’t care if a girl is interested, but the moment you realize she truly could care less—you’re on your knees feeding her every line in the book in order to catch her interest again. Girls: you make the nice guy think that you’d rather have some die hard badass, but the second he begins to act like he has better things on his plate—you’re texting him dumb pet names and telling him you miss your hang out sessions. So, how do you girls go about keeping the bad boy interested? Or you boys go about keeping miss popular infatuated? You have to realize that there are bigger fish in the sea.

(What a catch!)

It’s about truly believing that there are bigger and better things out there, not just acting like it. If you’re into someone and they’re not giving you the attention you want, simply put—move on. If you spend all your time analyzing the situation and relentlessly bugging that person about why they do or do not like you, they’re going to peace the heck out. Boy and girl alike, no one likes to feel like the other person is forcing their feelings on you. However, if you simply just “drop” it and mentally agree with yourself to focus your attention elsewhere, you’ll see how quickly things will fall into place. One of two things will happen: you’ll either meet someone new and realize you were stuck on completely the wrong person, or your person of interest will recognize that you’ve distanced yourself and will then do whatever they can to catch your interest back on cue. As mentioned, the trick is truly convincing yourself that this girl/boy isn’t worth your time. If they’re not texting you, don’t bother texting them…they’re clearly not interested enough to want to talk to you. Furthermore, if they’re not texting you and you decide to quite talking to them cold turkey, they’ll most likely eventually realize that you’re not longer interested and will thus make an effort to strike up a conversation.

The key to getting the person you want is avoiding the “desperate” or “clingy” persona. If someone is into you, cool, but don’t go out of your way to show the reciprocate interest because that way you’ll continually keep them guessing and wanting to catch your attention even more. If a person isn’t into you, don’t sweat it; what’s the point on wasting your time trying to get with someone that clearly doesn’t have the same desire? The whole magic to the opposite attraction has to do with mutual attraction…if you’re the only one feeling the flame then trust me, it’s time to extinguish that fire.

As stated in the title of this article, the mindset you have to obtain in trying to catch someone’s interest is just that: “yeah okay (boy/girl) you’re cool, but don’t kid yourself cus’ you have no idea who I am.” Now, let me just note that it is very crucial you have this “persona” about you without crossing the line and coming off cocky. You don’t want everyone around you to think you’re just some big tool who’s head is over inflated. Rather, you want to carry yourself with a sense of suave awareness…as if you could care less whether or not that person is feeling it because you know there are plenty of other people out there who will be plenty interested in getting to know you. If you ever have self doubt about catching someone else’s interest, just develop a self mantra such as “yeah you got swagga, but it doesn’t really matta’, cus’ youll never have swagga like me” (if you understand how to go about it without being cocky). If you repeat this mantra every time you have self doubt, and you truly start to believe in your self confidence/worth, I can almost guarantee that these positive vibes will illuminate and your person of interest will regain a sudden interest in you.

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.