Wellness

Why You Don’t Need to Use Quarantine to ‘Improve Yourself’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Overwhelmingly, ads, posts, and blogs are suggesting to the public that this extended stay at home period should be taken advantage of by doing various self-improvement projects. While this might be a great option for some people, this should not be the expectation.

Many people today are experiencing higher stress levels because of all of the changes, fear, uncertainty, etc. The additional overwhelming pressure to make personal accomplishments is totally unnecessary and impeding on many people’s mental health. It is totally normal, and quite common, to feel less productive in a time filled with negative news, increased stress, and unlimited uncertainty for the future. It is important that people understand that they are not the only ones that are having trouble achieving much more than what is minimally required. Many people are struggling with this also. The best thing we can each do during this time is focus on ourselves, but that looks very different for each person.  

I have found that as students, the expectation for us is that if we have more free time, we should be working harder. We already receive an abundance of pressure in our daily lives, and now many of us carry guilt for not being as, if not more, self-critical and disciplined than usual. Workload for some has already increased and finding the time or effort to work on another project can be challenging. You have every right to feel accomplished for completing the bare minimum, the things you must do, for these tasks are especially difficult for some. 

Some people are using projects and accomplishments to help themselves get through tough times, however that doesn’t work for everyone. Letting yourself off the hook and focusing on what is best for you is what is most important during these times, not focusing on how to make a better you, because there is plenty of time for that. It is alright if you are not in the right headspace to take on additional tasks. Please, do not feel guilty for the quantity, or quality of work you produce, or tasks you complete, and do what makes you comfortable.  Survive the times anyway you can.

UNH22 Environmental Science
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!