alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Will Eat Whatever I Want and Not Give a Damn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I love food.  I always have, and I probably always will.  I love food so much that, right now, I am writing this article while laying in my bed eating Cadbury Mini Eggs.  

Why am I eating Cadbury Mini Eggs in my bed at 11:03 on a Wednesday night, you ask?  Well, my humble readers, it’s for two reasons.  One, because both me and my roommate brought some back from our Easter festivities and, hey, someone’s gotta eat them.  And two, because, simply put, Cadbury Mini Eggs are the sh*t.  And even though 9 of them equals 190 calories, I will still eat them, because I enjoy Cadbury Mini Eggs and I will not deny myself the happiness of eating them just because of that stupid fact.  It’s just not who I am.

I like eating food, all kinds of it.  I like tacos and chocolate and pasta and really anything else you put in front of me.  Luckily, I also truly enjoy eating vegetables and kale smoothies, so I like to tell myself that it balances out.  Though this is completely natural for me to love all of these foods, we live in a society where it’s easy to feel ashamed for our eating habits.  Between the commercials with women running around in bikinis with their perfectly photoshopped abs, and the stupid, and truly unhealthy, trend of juice cleanses, it’s easy to feel as though eating that bowl of spaghetti may be wrong.  

I refuse to believe that.  How could something that brings me so much joy be so bad? I genuinely enjoy eating food, and I won’t feel bad about it just because it has a couple hundred calories.

I get that I am lucky and I was graced with a fast metabolism, and that some people really cannot eat that bowl of ice cream.  But I can, and I am going to take advantage of that, because ice cream is too good not to.

It’s important to remember that society should not dictate your life decisions. Because, realistically, I couldn’t look like a Victoria’s Secret model even if I did do a juice cleanse (mostly because I’m short and very pale).  So why would I deny myself the joy of eating just to strive for something I will never get?

Trust me, I get that it is important to be healthy. No one wants to have serious, preventable health issues one day all because they ate too many Big Macs.  And, honestly, if you eat too much chocolate, you’re gonna get bad acne and probably feel really sick.  

But that doesn’t mean you should cut it out all together.  

Life is all about balance.  You eat a chocolate bar, you go to the gym.  You have spaghetti, you walk to class.  Just do whatever makes you happy, because that is the most important thing.  

I am happy when I eat bread, others are happy when they have a six pack, and both of those are fine answers.  But do not deny yourself the pleasure of food you love simply because you want to be a size zero.  Small jeans are overrated, Chipotle is where it’s at.  

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!