Career > Money

Why I, A Senior Nursing Student, Am Taking A Finance Class

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

In the final stretch of my nursing education, one might wonder why I’ve chosen to delve into the world of finance as a senior nursing student. The answer lies in the recognition that a well-rounded education extends beyond the boundaries of one’s major. Taking a Finance 101 class as a senior nursing student is a strategic move aimed at preparing for the multifaceted challenges of the adult workforce. I firmly believe that understanding personal finance is essential for success in any career, including nursing. In this article, I’ll explore the reasons behind this decision and discuss the broader applicability of financial literacy for all college and university students.

• Financial Stability: Nursing is a rewarding career both emotionally and financially, but it’s important to have a solid understanding of personal finance to ensure long-term financial stability. By learning about budgeting, saving, investing and managing debt, I can make informed decisions to secure my financial future.
  • Student Loan Management: Like many students, I have accrued student loans to finance my education. As I prepare to enter the workforce, I need to have a plan in place for managing and eventually paying off these loans. A personal finance class will provide me with valuable insights into strategies for loan repayment and debt management.
  • Retirement Planning: It’s never too early to start thinking about retirement planning. By learning about topics such as employer-sponsored retirement accounts, individual retirement accounts (IRAs) and investment strategies, I can start laying the groundwork for a comfortable retirement, even as a new graduate.
  • Negotiating Salary and Benefits: As I begin my job search and interview for positions, understanding personal finance can empower me to negotiate a competitive salary and benefits package. By knowing my worth and understanding the components of a compensation package, I can advocate for myself effectively during the hiring process.
  • Emergency Preparedness: Healthcare professionals, including nurses, may face unexpected expenses due to emergencies or job-related challenges. Having a solid understanding of personal finance can help me build an emergency fund and develop a financial safety net to weather unforeseen circumstances.
  • Long-Term Financial Goals: Beyond immediate financial concerns, I also have long-term goals such as buying a home, starting a family and pursuing advanced education or certifications. Learning about personal finance will enable me to develop a roadmap for achieving these goals and making smart financial decisions along the way.

In the journey towards becoming a registered nurse, taking a Finance 101 class may seem unconventional, but it is a strategic move aimed at holistic personal and professional development. As I prepare to graduate and embark on my nursing career, I recognize the importance of equipping myself with the knowledge and skills necessary to navigate the financial aspects of adulthood. So, to my fellow college students, embracing the opportunity to broaden our skill sets and enhance our financial literacy prepares us for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. The applicability of financial knowledge reaches far beyond specific majors, making it a valuable asset for anyone entering the workforce as an adult. By taking a personal finance class, one is investing in future success and laying the foundation for a lifetime of financial well-being. As I transition into the workforce this spring, I am confident that the insights gained from this course will serve me well in both my personal and professional life.

UNH nursing student, beach bum, book worm, and health & wellness lover from Cape Cod, MA!