Life > Experiences

What It’s Like Going From No Siblings To Over 150

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As you can tell by the title, I’m an only child. With that comes its perks but it also comes with some downsides. I never had that built-in best friend that a lot of my friends feel with their sisters. I never had that person to look up to; run to with all of my boy troubles; never that person I could tell my deepest darkest secrets to. I know people will sometimes say “ugh having a sister is so annoying, we fight all the time.” I even wish I had that. I am not saying I’m not grateful for being an only child, because I am. I just wish sometimes I had a forever BFF that would be there through thick and thin no matter what.

Well now, I have over 150.

This spring I hesitantly decided to join Kappa Delta. Let me tell you, it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It has opened up so many doors for amazing opportunities I wouldn’t have otherwise. Through this organization, I am 10 times more active in the UNH community than I would’ve been without KD.

Every girl in KD is unique and special in their own individual ways. I still have yet to meet half of the sisters, but let me tell you, these are some GREAT people, like wow. Without KD, I probably wouldn’t have met these girls but I’m glad I did. Everyone I have had the chance to talk to and become close with has shown me a different perspective on life and has made me become a better person. I know they’ll always be there for me and I’ll do the same for them.

I said when I joined I wouldn’t change as a person but I can feel I am. I’m not saying I’m changing into some stereotypical “snotty sorority girl”, I’d say I’m turning into a powerful woman, who’s confident in herself and who’s not afraid to stand up to what she believes in.

I encourage anyone and everyone to look into joining Greek life as it offers so many amazing things and makes college feel just a tad smaller.

just your average nursing major trying to survive:)