What I Eat to Stay Healthy as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I want to start this off by saying I am not a professional but this is how I eat to feel like my best self! I do my best to practice intermittent fasting which is when you only have your meals for a certain time period during the day. My time period is from 12pm to 8pm and this really works for me because I never am really hungry in the morning. 

When I wake up in the morning I have a detox drink which can be any off the following! All these options help me feel awake and ready to start my day!

• Green tea
  • Black coffee 
  • Apple cider vinegar drink (my personal favorite)
    • a glass of water, about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, tablespoon of raw honey and a tablespoon of lemon juice

At noon is when I have my first meal which is lunch, where I have many different options of what I make so here are some of my options:

• Ham & Cheese Sandwich (my favorite!!)
    •  2 slices of Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted 100% Whole Grain Bread, 1 tbsp avocado oil mayonnaise, 2 tbsp mustard, 2 slices of sliced ham, 2 slices of cheddar cheese, 2 thin slices of tomatoes, 2 lettuce leaves, 1/8 avocado – sliced
    • This is so yummy and keeps me full and energized for so long
  • Turkey Wrap
    • 1 tortilla wrap – Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Tortilla, 1 tbsp hummus, 1/4 cup red bell pepper, sliced, 2 slices of roast turkey breast, 2 lettuce leaves
  • Kale & Tuna Salad
    • 1 -2 cups baby kale leaves, 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets, 1/2 cup sprouts, 1/2 can tuna, 1/4 avocado – sliced, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, and 1 tsp mustard.
    • Directions: Mix all salad ingredients and dressing. Toss until fully coated. Season with salt and pepper.

Next, I’ll have a snack before dinner or whenever I get a little hungry. These are awesome if you’re craving something sweet or just have the sensation that :

• 1 hard boiled egg
  • ½ cup of cottage cheese
  • ½ cup of pistachios
  • Unsalted rice cake with almond butter and raspberry jam
  • ½ cup of Greek yogurt with frozen berries

Lastly, for dinner I choose between multiple different recipes depending on how much time I have:

• Turkey Stuffed Peppers (this is a really easy meal prep recipe!) (this exact recipe makes 4 but you can change the recipe to make more or less!)
    • 4 multi colored bell peppers with tops cut off in inside hollowed
    • 1 pound of ground turkey
    • ¾ cup of brown rice
    • ¾ cup of your favorite marinara
    • ¼ cup chopped onion
    • shredded cheese
    • 2 teaspoons of tomato paste
    • Minced garlic
    • Directions: once the peppers are hollowed out, you want to start cooking your ground turkey and rice. Once the ground turkey has browned you want to add your onions, marinara, tomato paste, garlic and spices of your choice. Once the rice is done cooking, add it to the pan with the turkey. (I sometimes also like to add vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, peas or corn but that’s up to you!). Once everything is mostly cooked, I then add the turkey mixture into my peppers and place them on a tray. I then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the peppers and put them in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the peppers look nice and soft!
  • Apricot and Sage Chicken with Carrots (LOVE THIS!!)
    • 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs (I sometimes use chicken tenderloins) 
    • Salt
    • Black pepper
    • ½ cup of chicken stock
    • ¼ cup of apricot preserves
    • 2 cups thinly diagonally sliced carrots
    • 4 teaspoons sage
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I use more because I love garlic)
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • Directions: First combine the apricot preserves and stock in a bowl and mix. Then heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and then add chicken to pan and cook until browned (chicken will not be cooked through) then take the chicken out. Now add the carrots, 1 tablespoon sage and garlic to pan and cook for 4 minutes. Then add the apricot and stock mixture as well as the chicken and lower the heat to medium and cover and cook until chicken is done (about 8 minutes). Once cooked, put the chicken and carrots on a plate and add salt, pepper, remaining sage and butter to the pan with the mixture and mix until butter melts. Then spoon the sauce over the chicken and you’re done!
  • Grilled Chicken and Vegetables
    • 1 small zucchini, cut in four
    • 1 bell pepper, cut
    • 4oz chicken
    • (brown rice if you want!)
    • Directions: grill the zucchini and peppers and grill the chicken with spices of your choice! (super easy)

These are just some off my personal favorites but there are so many more!

I'm a Finance major who loves dogs and hanging out with friends!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!