This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Being a second-year college student, living in an apartment has been an adventure, to say the least. One of the biggest challenges I’ve faced, apart from splitting up chores between roommates, is cooking. I have never been a chef. I never got the cooking gene from my parents. So, college this year for me has been about learning easy ways to cook, on a budget.

Here’s a list of a few dishes that get me through the long weeks of studying, exams, and so on. All reasonable, and easy enough for someone who has no skills like me.

Stir fry (with all the veggies)

Stir fry is one of the easiest meals, that can last forever in your fridge or freezer. Buy some frozen mixed vegetables, chicken (I normally opt for the pre-cooked frozen tenders, they’re easy!), and some rice of your choice. Cheap, and takes about fifteen minutes of your day.

Ramen… with a twist

I do my ramen a little… different. But I swear, it’s roommate approved. Cook your regular ramen, and add some siracha, mayo, and seasoning. Measure with your heart, it’s amazing.

Asian salad

Sesame ginger dressing is all you need to feel like you’re eating a takeout meal. Any vegetables or protein you want on your salad, paired with sesame ginger dressing, and topped with crispy wonton strips. Perfect for lunch on the go.

sushi (yes, you can make this at home)

Sushi nori is a college girl’s best friend. Add some white rice, protein of choice (I typically go for imitation crab, which you can find at any grocery store), and whatever else you feel like. So much more cost effective than paying $7+ per roll when you’re out.

dumplings and rice, for those on the go

Did you know you can buy frozen dumplings, that come out just as good when you boil them as they do at the restaurant? Pair it with some white rice, soy sauce, and they’re done in less than ten minutes. That’s my kind of cooking.

These are just some things I like, that make me feel like I’m eating healthily on a budget. But let me tell you, they leave me full and fueled for long college days. They all take less than 30 minutes and are simple enough for someone like me, and most college students who can’t cook!

A sophomore business major at UNH