This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As skincare trends come and go, people will try just about anything in hopes of clearer skin. As many people have seen the popular TikTok trend of skin cycling, they wonder what it really is. Is it just another trend? Are there benefits to it?

Skin cycling is a method created by dermatologist Dr. Whitney Bowe, MD. She focuses on a four-night skin care regimen that promotes skin rejuvenation. The objective is to adopt a skin cycling routine that can help prevent the skin barrier from being compromised due to inaccurate use of active ingredients. Dr. Bowe is also an author of The Beauty of Dirty Skin and founder of Dr. Whitney Bowe Beauty, her own brand which shows “results from the inside out and the outside in” regarding the connection between your skin, mind, and gut health.

But how does skin cycling actually work? The regime consists of exfoliation, retinoid, recovery, recovery, and repeats after those four days are over. The reason why this regime has so much attention is because of its unmatched results that other dermatologists support.

How it works

Night One: Exfoliation

The first night is exfoliation night. Start by cleansing your face with a gentle cleanser and pat dry once finished. Rather than using a physical exfoliant, Dr. Bowe recommends using a leave-on chemical exfoliant with contains alpha- or beta-hydroxy acids. The reasoning behind a chemical exfoliant rather than a physical exfoliant is due to the fact that physical exfoliants like a scrub can cause burns or inflammation. Once completed, be sure to lock it in with a moisturizer before heading to bed.

Night Two: Retinoid

The second night is my favorite of all the nights, RETINOIDS!!! Retinoids help speed up skin cell turnover and are typically vitamin A-based which has tons of benefits. Retinoids are great for helping treat acne, fade hyperpigmentation and scarring and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Start by cleansing your face and be sure to completely pat dry. Apply a pea-sized amount to your entire face. (Disclaimer: if you have never used retinoid before, it is recommended to apply moisturizer prior to the sensitive areas of your face). Once the retinoid is applied finish up with another layer of moisturizer. This extra layer serves as a protective barrier to prevent peeling or dryness to your skin. Retinol face serum’s can be pricey, so it’s important you find one that is in your price range. Just because it’s more expensive, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best option for you.

Nights Three and Four: Recovery

These two nights are some of the most important for the week. This is the time to let your skin recover from the exfoliation and retinoid. Keep it simple, cleanse your face and apply a hydrating serum or moisturizer. Be sure these products don’t contain any active ingredients mentioned above as it will slow down recovery. Fragrance-free products that contain hyaluronic acid, ceramide, and glycerin are the best options. Finding a hydrating serum or moisturizer that fits your needs can be tricky, it might take a few different products to find the one that works best for your skin. I personally like The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5. It leaves my skin feeling plump and moisturized. The Ordinary brand is also

It is said that it takes about eight days (two cycles) to start to see improvements in the skin. After the two cycles, you will start to notice your skin is more hydrated and glowy. It’s important to remember that using too much product can counter-act the process. Starting off with a modified cycle is always a good alternative if your skin is getting irritated from following Dr. Bowe’s schedule directly.

University of New Hampshire’24 Business Administration Major