What To Do If You Are Stuck On Campus For Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It is that time of year again Wildcats! It is time for a break from the academic stress and chaos and go home for Thanksgiving break. Whether it is the first time you have gone home since the semester started, or you have seen your family within the last week, it is still a time to enjoy the spirit of Thanksgiving with friends and family (not to mention all of the good food). However, with Thanksgiving break being so close to Winter break this year, some students may not have the privilege to go home for break. Some may find themselves sticking around in dorms or apartments while everyone else has gone home, but it isn’t as bad as it sounds. Here are some things that you can do if you find yourself stuck in Durham for Thanksgiving break:

1.     Go home with a friend. If you live too far away to go home for break, try heading home with a friend or roommate. It is an opportunity to still get off campus, have fun, and still get that awesome and comforting “home” feeling.

2.     Catch up on sleep. Campus is quiet, the dorms are quiet, and your roommate is probably gone so why not sleep the day away and catch up on your lack of sleep! There are no classes going on or meetings to go to. Sleep the day away or watch Netflix and never get out of your pj’s, no one will judge you for it!

3.     Meet new people. Chances are you are not the only one who couldn’t go home for the week. Find a group of people that are in the same situation and hang out with each other. Go to the movies or get food together. Anything! Take advantage of the opportunity to get to know your fellow Wildcats!

4.     Enjoy your alone time. School has been crazy the last couple of weeks. You probably can’t remember the last time you could see your floor or maybe have even done laundry. Get that much-needed cleaning, laundry, and that to do list of stuff you haven’t actually had the chance to do. Now is the time to do it before the final weeks of the semester! Take advantage of your down time to get things done and even get ahead on your homework.

5.     Leave campus for a day. This is a great area to explore and break is a great time to do it when you have zero to no responsibilities. Walk around Portsmouth, go to the movies, go shopping, or just hop on the bus and see where it takes you. Take advantage of the opportunity for the mental and physical re-boot and come back refreshed and ready to tackle the last couple weeks of the semester.

6.     Look up local Thanksgiving events in the area. Many local restaurants do Thanksgiving dinner or there is the 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning in Portsmouth. The opportunities are endless!

Whether you are blessed with the opportunity to go home for break or you are stuck on campus, there is still a lot you can do to get you through the week. Take advantage of the peace and quiet to catch up on sleep, homework, clean your room, do laundry, or watch Netflix all day. If you have the chance, go home with a friend or roommate and hang out with them for the week. Whatever you do, have a great week off Wildcats. Happy Thanksgiving!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!