What are the Classes of 2016 & 2017 Missing Out On?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Here is my list of a few places that the UNH classes of 2016 and 2017 will never get to experience:

ATOYou all walk or drive past the huge, white, empty abandoned frat house on Main Street. Your older friends might tell you stories about ATO’s awesome parties, and fun brothers, but unfortunately the classes of 2016 and 2017 will never be able to attend one of those parties us upperclassmen loved. The fraternity got in a mess of trouble in November 2011 and is still in the midst of a five year suspension. As a landmark of downtown Durham it’s sad that the building still stands without any residents.

Ballards– In February of 2012, the owner of Ballards Restaurant sold his property to Aroma Joes. The restaurant and bar provided and outside seating where students were able to relax and enjoy a drink or two and watch the craziness of Main Street. When this happened I remember people having mixed emotions about this, students were that their favorite day-drinking spot would soon be gone and that it was about to be replaced by yet another coffee shop. I mean both establishments sell delicious drinks and Aroma’s kept the idea of outside seating, so the only downside is that you can only soberly people watch.

PBG v. Theta– Last school year, PBG and Theta both had to renew the leases for their houses around the same time. Theta swooped in taking over PBG’s lease therefore resulting in PBG moving into Theta’s old house. Crazy, right? So now Theta gets the cool house with the nice little porch and the great Madbury view, while PBG resides in Theta’s little tucked away, cave of a house. Until I graduate I will refer to Theta’s house as “PBG” and PBG’s house as “Theta”, sorry for the confusion.

That Food Stand Behind Theta (Now PBG)- Going off from the whole Theta/PBG frat castle switch, between Theta (now PBG) and the new apartments with the underground parking on Pettee Lane, there used to be this awesome food cart. It was convenient if you were on your way home from the Rosemary’s area on the weekends because they offered the BEST cheesy fries (with or without bacon). Last year when they started to build the new apartments on Pettee, the food cart disappeared and has not reappeared since.

The Bagelry– Summer of 2012 the beloved Bagelry was sold to owners of The Works.  My freshman year I spent many Sunday mornings at the Bagelry attempting to rid myself of an unwanted hangover with one of the Bagelry’s delicious bagels. Though The Works is attempting to keep the local business feel, it has a less family-owned feel. The bagels are still there though, don’t you worry.

JP’s Eatery/Mama Mac’s– JP’s Eatery was closed a little bit before my time but the business was sold to Mama Mac’s my freshman year. My friends all raved about Mama Mac’s last year – it was a great treat to get mac and cheese that was not from a box. But since we’ve been back at school I’ve notice that the building has been closed, I’ve heard some remodeling rumors but nothing official. The sign still stands but the empty appearance isn’t very hopeful. All I can say is that Mama Mac’s is actually gone, that I hope it isn’t replaced by another coffee place.

UNH Her Campus Editor in Cheif Member since 2012Junior Chi Omega SisterHelath Management and Policy Major with a Minor in Sociology Originally from Orono, ME. Lover of Fashion, Fall, and Food  
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!