Welcome to Greek Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Frat Boys

1. Preppy Per Usual 

When people picture a “typical” boy, brands such as Vineyard Vines, Patagonia, and Sperry come to mind. The classic prep boy look is modeled in virtually every fraternity, but there is room for deviation. Many brothers will admit to not owning any of these brands and instead wearing what they dressed in before college.

2. Athletes Without The Sport

Everyone knows coming into college that varsity, or even club sports, rule a large portion of your life. People claim fraternity brothers want the popularity of an athlete without committing to the sport. How true is this statement? I suppose it’s up to each individual to evaluate. 

3. Neighbors 

Most of America watched Neighbors featuring Zac Efron and Dave Franco as two frat brothers who moved their house into a residential neighborhood.  This comical film presented a lot of stereotypical frat boy behavior and reassured preconceived notions of what Greek life is all about. Although social life is important to brotherhoods, Greek organizations strive to organize community service projects and philanthropy events that don’t directly benefit themselves. 

Sorority Girls

1. “Legally Blonde” 

Many people look at sorority girls and label them as “legally” blonde. No, it’s not just about the “typical” hair color of sorority girls anymore; instead, in 2001 the world was introduced to Legally Blonde featuring Elle Woods. In the movie, she’s a member of a fictional sorority, Delta Nu, and displays everything “so sorority” such as the scented resume paper, precise decorating abilities, love for all things pink, and endless beauty needs. This might be the vision some people have of sorority life, but a lot of sisters only posses a few or sometimes not any of these characteristics. 

2. Shallow as a Shower

Do I need to say anything more? Shallow. As. A. Shower. It means exactly what you think it does. A shower has virtually no depth. There are numerous claims stating how sorority girls are materialistic or not concerned with anything that doesn’t have to do with them. But, in reality Greeks are often very involved. Each sorority not only has their own philanthropy, but many times each chapter will require sisters to be a part of another non-Greek organization on campus.

3. Money Can Buy Anything… Even Friends  

One of the biggest and widely accepted perceptions of sororities: you buy your friends. Looking from the outside Greek life is another bill to pay that doesn’t go to your education and instead gives you an instant social life with a group of peppy girls. From the inside looking out this accusation makes little to no sense. Sorority dues often go to up keeping the house, national funds, and philanthropy events. The cost to be a sister in a sorority doesn’t go towards friendship, but instead gives you endless opportunities that no other organization could give you on campus.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!