This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

To college students just like myself:

We are busy bodies, busy bees, and busy people. Our lives are crazy, like a nonstop one way freight train rolling down the tracks at full speed. Sometimes we forget things, sometimes we make mistakes, and sometimes life gets in the way of everything little single thing it can. But here are 5 steps to make sure you stay true to your colors, self and world.

1. Remember where you came from

For me, it is a small town in the heart of New Hampshire. A small town where everyone knows everyone, everyone helps everyone, and everyone cares for everyone (okay mostly but it’s the closest thing to the biggest family you’ll ever find). It’s home. It’s my home. Knowing every road like the back of my hand, every spot to stop and every thing to do. It helps keep you grounded. It’s a place you can always go to if you need to escape. It’s where we came from, where we belong, and where we love.

2. Remember who raised you, and don’t forget to say thank you…

How many people since you have gotten to college have said, “tell your mom you love her and thank your dad for this and that?” A lot right? Well maybe it’s because every single one of them is right. Our parents raised us to do this stuff. Some of them did this stuff themselves. They were the ones sneaking back into their dorms, trying not to wake up anyone at 2am on a Sunday morning. They were the ones stressing about school work, wondering if they were going to pass a class taught by a bad professor. They were us, and they are here for us. Remember them to find your true colors again if you start to lose your self because they will always show you right from wrong and who you are.

3. Do things for you and ONLY you.

Well, well, well. I have caught myself saying this to so many people since I got to college. When I was going through a hard time, I thought about how there is only one Earth in this universe that we are living in. There are 7 billion people or so on this planet isn’t there? There is only one thing that is solely and entirely important and that is yourself. If everything else were to disappear tomorrow, what’s left? What is left after a breakup, whether with a significant other or a friend? Who’s left when your parents are gone? Who’s left when you’re done with college? Yourself. You and only you. This whole thing isn’t meant to scare people. More or less, it’s meant to remind one to start doing things for you and no one else. Don’t want to go to a party? Don’t just go because your friends are. Want to be in greek life? Have at it! Do it! Don’t like the college you’re at but you’re afraid of disappointment? Drop the heck out and do what makes you happy!!! Do. Everything. For. You.

4. Let’s not forget about your true best friends    

These people, are my entire life. The ones back home (ya Kate, that means you) are amazing. They will bring you back down to reality and your true colors really fast. They are the ones that stick with you through thick and thin. If f you are going through challenges, you can each take each other’s hands and fight together and help each other. Don’t take your stress and destroy the bridges with people!! Use them!!

5. Be happy, spread happy

This one kinda ties into #3 too, but it’s just so important. Make sure you are happy, and when you find that happiness, kee spreading it. If there is one thing in life that we need more of, it’s happiness. So, stay grounded, stay happy, say your “I Love You’s” and rock on, because you got this.  

Xox

Allison

Current co-president of UNH's chapter of Her Campus
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!