The Top Reasons Why College Relationships Fail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

College is like a bubble.  If you think about it, at no other point in your life will you be living in an environment where everyone surrounding you is this close to your age.  Although UNH may seem like a large campus, it really isn’t.  Many of us run in the same circles of friends who are constantly attending the same parties and in the same classes.  We all see the same people at the bar or at house parties.  For some of us these years are the chance to date around, for some it’s an opportunity to find the person you may end up marrying, and for others it’s simply the chance to “get it in”.  Here’s a look at the most common reasons why college relationships don’t end up working out, just remember, every college relationship is different!

1. The number one reason many relationships on college campuses don’t work out is because of cheating.  I mean, c’mon, its college.  If you want them, you can find parties 24/7 and thanks to the binge drinking that happens at these parties, so do many unplanned hookups.  Cheating is the number one reason why relationships in college fail, simply because there’s a lot of temptation out there.

2. The second reason why college relationships fail is that many of them are long distance.  Lots of high school graduates remain with their high school sweethearts despite the fact that they may be separated by hundreds of thousands of miles.  Many find it hard to deal with not seeing each other, having a relationship through a cell phone, or fighting the temptation to cheat.  Kudos to those who make it last!

3. Third is that many college students feel as though these four years are the time to have fun and not be in a serious relationship.  Guys and girls alike want to experiment, date around, and just have fun while they spend their time here.  Many decide to stop hooking up with someone simply because they want to be single.

4. The fourth reason is that either the guy or the girl is just simply not that interested.  We’ve all seen the movie or read the book “He’s Just Not That Into You”.  It’s sorta like that.  Maybe he just wants to hook up while the girl is searching for something more.  Maybe she wants an open relationship and he doesn’t.  Either way, if someone isn’t willing to commit to you, they probably just aren’t that into you.

5. Fifth reason is no common ground.  If you’re from Chicago and you plan on moving to New York after graduation, and your boyfriend is from California, where does that leave you?   Not on the same page.  I’ve seen it happen to a lot of friends, where neither of them will make the commitment to move to be with the other and the relationship just has to end.  It’s a tough call, as many of us are only 21 or 22 years old when we graduate, who’s to say we are ready to make a cross-country or even an out-of-state move to be with our significant other.

6. The sixth reason why many college relationships fail is because some of us just can’t balance our time.  For example, take a guy with an extremely hard major who spends his only free time playing a club sport.  Then pretend his girlfriend is the president of her class and has an internship for 20 hours a week.  Add in time spent hanging out with friends or studying and it’s almost impossible for these two to find time to hang out together.  This can put a strain on any relationship.

7. The seventh reason is rumors.  No matter how large your college campus may be, many students find themselves running in the same circles of people.  Sometimes rumors begin to circulate, possibly because of jealousy, or possibly because they are true.  Either way, rumors are a vicious way to end a relationship.  Remember Juicy Campus?  I can remember reading countless times on that website about a guy who was cheating on his girlfriend or something of that sort.  Even when rumors aren’t true, they have a tendency of putting a lot of strain on the relationship and can be the ultimate reason behind a breakup.

(Yup, she just found out what he did last night…) 

Well, there you have it, the seven most common reasons why college relationships don’t work out.  Good luck to all you ladies out there who are trying to make it work!  Remember, not all relationships fail and even if your’s does- it’s better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.