photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

The Top 5 Things To Do Around UNH In The Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s really no secret that there is no place like New England in Autumn.  Between the amazing food, one of a kind activities, and breathtaking views, you simply cannot beat a New England Fall, and UNH is right at the heart of most all of the amazing traditions, scenery and fun!  So, if you’re looking to get off campus and forget about your Spanish midterm for a while, here are the top 5 things to do around UNH in the Fall!

1. Channel Your Inner Basic With a PSL at BNG

Breaking New Grounds is a hot spot right off campus all year round.  At any season you can stroll in for amazing coffee, tea and specialty drinks to warm you up, cool you off, or brighten your rainy day.  However, Fall is arguably one of the greatest times for BNG as it reintroduces our favorite specialty flavors, like Pumpkin Spice, Maple, and many others. There is nothing better than spending your afternoon on main street, watching the leaves fall with a warm drink in your hand, and catching up on some homework. So, if you have some extra time and a sweet tooth, make sure to stop by and order your favorite flavor!

2. Drive to the White Mountains for a Breathtaking View

If you’re lucky enough to have a car, and are looking to get very far off campus, try heading two hours north to the White Mountains.  Though a bit of a drive, every second is worth it, as there is genuinely no better view of the New England foliage.  Check out North Conway, Jackson, and the Kancamagus Highway for scenery you won’t find anywhere else, and a true New England experience. Road trip, anyone?

3. Mix Up Your Seasons and Head to the Beach

If you’re looking for something a little bit different, then combine two great seasons and head to the beach! Whether close to campus in Rye, NH, or a little farther in Ogunquit, ME, the beach in Autumn is beautiful. Bundle up to beat the chill, take stroll down the sand, and listen to the waves. You can even bring you BNG to keep you warm! But, unless you’re looking to do a polar plunge, I’d stay away from swimming until Summer comes back around. That’s just my opinion though…

4. Try a fall classic right down the road

Being born and raised in New England, some of my best fall memories stem from apple picking with my family.  Apple picking is hands down one of the greatest fall activities. It’s fun, it’s delicious, and it usually ends in cider doughnuts and apple pie.  If you want to continue this fall tradition, head to DeMeritt Farms, just down the road from UNH, in Lee, NH.  There’s apple picking, pumpkins, a country store, and an award winning show called Haunted Overload around Halloween time!  Bring your family or friends and soak up the true New England culture in Autumn…and don’t forget the doughnuts!!

5. Enjoy music and festivals at Prescott Park

Prescott Park in Portsmouth is an amazing experience in the fall that you truly cannot find anywhere else!  They host festivals, concerts, and one-of-a-kind foodie events such as the 7th Annual New Hampshire Brewfest, happening on October 17th!  If you’re of age, head on over for a day full of over 20 different breweries, food and live entertainment.  If you’re not 21 quite yet, their calendar is full of shows, concerts and other activities throughout the entirety of Fall!  Not only are these events tremendously fun, but they also are something you can only find right here in the Seacoast area of New Hampshire, so be sure not to miss out!

Being at the heart of New England in Autumn is an amazing opportunity that we, as UNH students, must take advantage of. And, even though UNH is the greatest place on earth, it’s good to get off campus for a little while to de-stress and regroup.  You’re only here for 4 years, and you may never be able to have these experiences again.  So be sure to grab a coffee, take a drive and eat some homemade apple pie while you’re young.  I promise you won’t regret it!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!