Mean Girls phone scene
Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions
Wellness

Tips For The Perfect Girls’ Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The days are getting shorter, nights are getting colder and the mid-semester burnout is slowly creeping up on you. The weekend rolls around and you want to see your girls, but you’re too tired to go out. Do you tough it out and slip into that pleather skirt, or do you tell the girls you have a date with the couch tonight? Hear me out… you suggest a girls’ night in. You CAN be social and relax at the same time, I promise! Don’t know where to start? I’ve got you!

Think of it as sort of a “group rot” (like a rot day, but with the gals). Pick a spot to get together: whoever has the comfiest couch, the coziest house or even the most relaxing dorm. Whether you plan on gossiping about the latest campus drama, watching a comfort show or just scrolling through TikTok while you’re all in the same room, you want everyone to be comfortable!

But what do you wear? Well, definitely not the pleather skirt you were dreading the thought of putting on earlier. Fit the theme of course and wear something comfortable! Sweats and a hoodie, a cute pajama set, an old tee from high school with stains and probably a couple of holes in it…whatever you’re happiest in. Girls’ night should be judgment-free; it is encouraged that you all wear your grubbiest clothes. Not to mention, it should be the opposite of a night out and as low-effort as possible. Ditch the full face of makeup for a nourishing face mask and your favorite lip balm.

Okay, let’s talk food. It won’t be a self-care night without snacks, so make sure you’re stocked up! Challenge everyone to bring their favorites, do a Trader Joe’s run (they have the best snacks, duh) or get takeout. A snack plate or charcuterie board is a great way to switch it up too! Everyone’s comfort food is different, so it’s always better to have a variety than not. The same goes for drinks! You could have a wine night, sit together and drink warm tea, or just go for ladies’ choice! These should be catered to comfort; whatever your heart desires on a relaxing night in is what you all deserve! Don’t skip out on the drink you want or the snack you’ve been craving all week because it’s too much sugar or it’s high in calories. Low-effort and judgment-free, remember?

Finally, what will you do? Pick a movie to watch and snuggle up! Bonus points if any of you fall asleep before the movie is finished (it’s been a long week!). If you can’t decide on a movie, put on some music and have a skincare night. Share all your tips and tricks with each other, your favorite products recently or your holy grails. Take some selfies in your pajamas (you look great). Debrief about school and work, or regard those as off-limit topics. It is your night to relax with your girls, take the opportunity to do whatever will make you feel like saying “I needed this.”

taylor and belly in the summer i turned pretty season 2
Erika Doss/Prime Video

Your girlfriends should be some of your biggest supporters: your ride-or-die group, your 4-lifers, your soul sisters. Maybe you just met and you’re already inseparable or maybe you’ve been friends for years. Either way, nothing feels better than spending time with the important ladies in your life who get you like nobody else does. The girls always want what’s best for you, and you want what’s best for them. A girls’ night in is the perfect way for you and your friends to all practice self-care while caring for each other!

Shannon Silver, is a junior psychology student at the University of New Hampshire <3