Culture > Digital

Tips and Tricks for Using Your iPad for School

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Having an iPad has been so helpful in many aspects of my life. The main reason I got it was to watch movies and YouTube videos but it turns out I barely even do that on it now. I’ve discovered many ways to incorporate my iPad into my school life and classes.

I am here to give you some tips and tricks for using your iPad with school and inform you how much you can do with it.

Use GoodNotes as a Note Taking App I use GoodNotes for all my notes in classes. I have created folders for all my classes and all my notes are organized into those folders. For me personally, I prefer to write my notes rather than typing them. It’s a known fact that if you handwrite them the information is absorbed more. One of my favorite features this app has is spellcheck, just like on a computer, but it actually copies your handwriting to make it uniform.

Split View for Multitasking On the iPad

There is a feature called “split view.” This allows me to have two different tabs or apps open at once, which allows me to multitask efficiently. For example, if I’m in lecture I can pull up the lecture slides on one half and my note taking app on the other. This is so helpful because if I fall behind on note taking during class, I have the slides right in front of me instead of stressing.

Scanning PDFs Another amazing feature on the GoodNotes app is that there is an option to scan in PDFs or papers from a textbook. This allows me to annotate readings for classes directly on my iPad. I also scan in documents from lab manuals then label them to help me study for lab. Being able to annotate on PDFs helps to shorten my study time by simply scanning documents in.

Digital Planning on GoodNotes

If you are like me and love planning weeks ahead and hours of my day each day, this app is perfect for you. They have digital planning calendars that I use daily to help me stay on track and stay motivated.You can actually customize your own and you can purchase your favorite influencers if they have one!

Occupational Therapy major at the University of New hampshire