Life > Academics

The Ultimate Finals Week Survival Guide

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

One of the worst times of the year as a student is almost upon us: FINALS. Studying can often feel like an uphill battle, but what if there was a way to turn it into a more enjoyable and rewarding experience? As you gear up for your exams, it’s time to find new effective strategies that will help you not only pass but excel.

Start Early

Procrastination is your biggest enemy. You simply can’t learn an entire semester’s worth of material in just a couple of days. Begin studying well in advance to avoid last-minute stress. Break down your study material into manageable chunks so you can create a realistic schedule that allows for regular breaks.

Create a Study Plan

Develop a comprehensive study plan that covers all subjects. Prioritize topics based on their weight in the exam and your familiarity with them. I use this approach to help make sure I have covered everything while managing my time efficiently.

Take Breaks and Practice Self-Care

Overloading your brain with information can be counterproductive. Take breaks during study sessions, practice mindfulness and engage in activities you enjoy to reduce stress. I like to go to the gym to give myself a break and clear my head.

Make a Study Group

Collaborate with peers to form study groups. Discussing concepts with others helps reinforce your understanding, and you may gain new perspectives. Teaching and explaining concepts to your peers can help with your own knowledge.

Meet with your Professor or TA

One valuable resource often underutilized is the opportunity to meet with professors or teaching assistants (TAs) during office hours. Don’t hesitate to leverage these resources — they are there to help you with your academic success. I am currently a teaching assistant for my financial policy class, and I always tell students to utilize their resources and ask questions even when they might know the answer. The professors and TAs are there to help you throughout this journey.

Reward Yourself

Incorporate rewards into your study routine. After accomplishing a set goal, treat yourself to a small break, a favorite snack or a short leisure activity. Positive reinforcement can make the study process more enjoyable. For example, after an hour of focused studying or completing a designated task, treat yourself to the chosen reward. This helps build a positive association with your study routine. The key is to make the reward something that genuinely motivates and uplifts you.

hawaii girl happy biking fun peace
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

As the dreaded finals season approaches, it’s crucial to approach it with a proactive and positive mindset. By implementing these effective strategies, you can transform studying into a more manageable and even enjoyable experience. Starting early, creating a well-organized study plan and incorporating self-care practices are essential steps in navigating the challenges of exams. Acknowledging your achievements, both big and small, fosters a positive mindset and motivates you to keep pushing forward. So, gear up for your exams with confidence. You’ve got this!

University of New Hampshire’24 Business Administration Major