Life > Experiences

The Disney College Program: What It Is, and How to Get In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The most magical internship on earth

Are you a self-proclaimed Disney Adult? Do you want a job in entertainment post-college? Do you want a study abroad program with a little more structure and a little more resume power? Then may I introduce you to the internship of your dreams: the Disney College Program.

What is the Disney College Program? The Disney College Program (DCP) is a paid semester, to year-long internship in Florida’s Disney World Participants in the Disney College Program work in the parks with positions such as quick service food, custodial or attractions. They regularly interact with guests, making magical memories and seeing some of the cutest vacation moments known to man (Little kids meeting their favorite princess! Proposals! Fireworks feels!). 

Don’t worry; it’s not all theme park slumming. DCP participants live in an on-property apartment complex, Flamingo Crossings. It features furnished four-person apartments, a pool and gym and buses to the parks. And you’ll want those buses for way more than just work. DCP participants have free access to the parks, some complimentary friends-and-family tickets and discounts on hotels and merchandise. They even have access to special events, like backstage tours of rides. Finally, for networking fans, participants can sign up for lecture series/classes with Disney company higher-ups. 

Who can participate? DCP participants have to be currently enrolled in a college/higher education institute or have graduated 24 months prior. You must be 18 or older and have completed one semester of college (sorry freshmen). Finally, you need unrestricted U.S. work access. Some schools have GPA requirements for taking a semester away, so talk with your advisor too!

I’m convinced. How do I apply? Applications for arrivals during the upcoming two semesters come out a semester in advance. For example, applications for the spring and summer semesters come out in the fall. Your best bet is to sign up for email updates on the Disney Careers website.

However, getting in requires a fair bit of luck. The internship had a lower acceptance rate than the Ivy Leagues for a while. Disney has a massive pool to choose from, so they can afford to wait for the perfect candidate. Think Prince Charming and the slipper, but career-ified.

So, what does the application and interview process look like? And how do you make that wish upon a star come true? Here’s my experience, timeline and tips after getting in for Spring 2023.

my application timeline

Aug. 29: Applications Opened Luckily, I knew this was coming; the DCP posted a countdown on their Instagram a couple of weeks before. Still, getting the actual email almost gave me a heart attack. 

You want to apply early as possible. The open application period is quite long, but jumping in early shows enthusiasm and helps your odds of getting in. If you need more info, Disney offered information session Zooms from Aug. 2., through Sept. 2. 

I applied the day applications came out. The application is just like anything you’d get for a retail job. You’ll fill in basic information like your name, year, and major. No cover letter, but a resume is required. Some people swear by changing the “customers” in your resume to “guests.” It’s Disney lingo!

Aug. 29: Web-Based Interview Request Received Well, that was quick! Disney invited me to the next stage of interviewing the day I applied. Once you’ve received the email, you have 72 hours, or three days, to complete it. It’s tempting to start the second you get the link, but wait. This interview is the big filter for the candidates and is considerably more time-consuming and demanding than the application. Hold off on this till you have an hour of free time somewhere quiet and distraction-free.

Aug. 30: Complete Web-Based Interview. I completed my Web-Based Interview (WBI) the day after I received the email. I worked in the union building with Disney ambience on my headphones and a coffee. The WBI consists of three sets of timed questions.

1. Multiple Choice (Situational): These are multiple-choice questions about what you would do in park-related problems. For example, how would you respond to a kid hurting their hand at a playground? How would you divide your attention and duties in a busy store? Since the questions are timed, use your gut instincts. But remember that Disney is all about teamwork and safety. Think “social butterfly that doesn’t want to get Mickey Mouse sued.”
  2. “Strongly Disagree/Strongly Agree” (Work Related): After multiple choice, you’re onto “strongly disagree/strongly agree” questions. You are given personal statements and have to place yourself somewhere on a scale of “strongly agree” to “strongly disagree” This section focuses on your personality at work. Examples include “When I don’t have the answer to a customer question, I find someone who knows.” or “I am on time all of the time.” Once again, be honest, but in the “job” way. Big tip: go for “strongly agree” or “strongly disagree” instead of neutral.
  3. “Strongly Disagree/Strongly Agree” (Living Related): This portion uses the same question format to ask about roommate living and socializing. Answer like the roommate you are and the roommate you want to be. Disney wants to know you won’t be a bad roommate or quit (“self-terminate,” in DCP terms).

After that, the acceptance waiting game begins!

Sept. 12: Accepted! I waited 12 days to be accepted, but it felt like years. The DCP teased the first acceptances on Instagram right before my accounting lecture. I could barely focus! I checked my phone after class, and voila. Accepted!

Once you’re accepted, you have three things to complete within a week:

1. Review and respond to the offer: This is where you’ll learn your pay, but not your actual job…that’s not till a week before your program starts!
  2. Submit program fees and select program dates: Each semester has a wide range of dates for arrival and departure. Consider the best time to leave and whether you want to stay for the summer beforehand (you can change to a further-out departure date during the Program too). There’s also a Program Fee of $425 to $431. The money covers the first week of rent and activities throughout the semester.
  3. Complete Required Informations: This is the boring stuff: Social Security-type info and a couple of job preference questions (spiels? Driving? Park or hotel job?). Disney sent this email to me the day after I officially accepted the offer.

And that’s the end of the fairytale! I’m leaving for my Disney College Program on Jan. 9., and I cannot wait to be part of such a unique experience.

So, what are you waiting for? Talk to your advisor, sign up for email updates and apply for your own Disney College Program; it’s time to make some magic!

Victoria is a sophomore journalism major at the University of New Hampshire. She loves writing, traveling, and learning.