Tattoos in the Workplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

In the U.S., tattoos originally were only ever seen on soldiers, circus freaks, and convicts. They were definitely not common in our grandparents’ generation. Then, when the popularity of rock and hip hop music grew, they started to show up more often. Many of our parents have tattoos. However, they are still often frowned upon in many industries. To CEOs, who are typically older and still have negative thoughts about tattoos, they are often seen as unprofessional. Many believe that they will become less taboo in the workplace as younger generations grow older, but right now it makes sense to think about your future career before getting inked.

Here are some cute placement ideas that are easy to hide when wearing professional attire:

Back:

The back allows for a pretty big canvas, the possibilities are endless!

Side:

Side tattoos are increasing in popularity, and with good reason. They are easy to hide at work and flaunt in more open tops. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to imitate Rhianna’s style??

Neck:

This is a picture of my tattoo and absolutely love it. It is easy to cover, even with the long bob I’m rocking these day, and if I want to show it off, I can just put my hair up.

Foot/ankle:

Foot tattoos are quite easy to hide in many situations, as most shoes cover them.

Big or small, hidden or on your face, tattoos are becoming a major rite of passage for many women. So go out and get that design you’ve been dreaming of. Just make sure that the placement works in your field. We are working hard for these degrees collegiettes; you don’t want to have a trendy design you got during spring break keep you from getting your dream job. Think before you ink!

Jaylyn Eaton is currently a sophomore Marketing major at the University of New Hampshire. A New England girl though and though, she loves going on outdoor adventures, drinking her Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee, and cuddling with her dogs by the fire. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!