Take Care of Yourself- Don’t Let Stress Get to You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

You know those days when you should be reading for your classes, but you just don’t have the motivation? You’re not alone, every collegiate out there feels the same way at times! But just because you’re not studying doesn’t mean you need to go to bed that night feeling guilty about it. Instead take one day off from studying, but dedicate it to yourself and renewing your batteries!

• Break a Sweat!
    Working out is the perfect way to feel good about yourself. After an hour of physical activity you will not only have burns off some calories, but it makes you feel so much more focused and awake! And for you girls out there who aren’t fans of running or elliptical training, there are so many other options! Go to Zumba, Step, Pilates or maybe Kick-boxing. All great ways to get a good work out!
  • Take care of yourself!
    In the stressful life as a student it is easy to sometimes forget about taking care of yourself. But the truth is that if you find yourself not making this a priority, you are less able to handle the stress in your every day life. So in order to get a feeling of control and ease, the first step is to make yourself happy! Invite some friends over and have a fun spaday with a delicious dinner. Nothing better than having a great night with your girls!
  • Do-It-Yourself-HomeSpaParty
    Getting your friends together and having a spa day at home is not only fun, it saves you a ton of money! Here are some tips for a successful home spa:
    Make a playlist! (Ocean sounds and instrumental Hawaiian music works the best for me)
    Have everyone participate! Tell your friends to bring their favorite nail polish, some snacks and drinks, towels etc. This way you don’t end up having to handle all the expenses on your own. And who knows; maybe one of your girls happens to have the Chanel Blue Boy nailpolish you’ve been dying to try out! (Remember, if you’re making food, everyone needs to agree on a budget before you go grocery shopping. Otherwise it might lead to uncomfortable arguments later on.)
    Welcome guests with something yummy! Being a good host includes letting the guests feel welcome when they come! So either slice up some fruits and berries or make some delicious smoothies before your friends arrive. I promise you it will really help get everyone in a good mood right from the start.
  • Treatments That Work At Home
    You don’t have to buy $50 facials in order to get smooth and renewed skin. You can make a great facial with just a trip to the grocery store. Here are some great ways to do it yourself:

EXFOLIATER:

You need:
Brown Sugar, Avocado

Here’s how you do it:
Mash one avocado and add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Then mix together and use immediately to exfoliate your skin. Do it right away so the sugar doesn’t melt! This treatment rinses your skin and will improve it’s texture.   

FACIAL MASK:

You need:
Banana, Honey, Orange or Lemon

Here’s how you do it:
Mash one banana and 1 tablespoon of honey. Then add a few drops of the juice from an orange or a lemon. Apply and leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing with a steaming warm washcloth.

If you want other recipes for great facials, go online and find unlimited versions!

Food For the Soul
When you’re a bunch of girls having dinner together it is sometimes hard to find something that everyone likes. Your safest bet is to go with something easy and simply delicious! Here are some of my favorites:

Appetizer:

You need: Bread, Tomato, Garlic, Feta Cheese, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Salt and Pepper

Here’s how you do it:
Preheat oven to 375 °F.
Start toasting slices of bread while you do the following:
Cut the tomato up in little pieces, and chop up some garlic. Add the garlic to the tomato and then pour olive oil over the mix. Add a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and then salt and pepper (keep tasting it while making it, this way you can be sure you’re seasoning it just enough).
Take a tablespoon and use it to add the tomato mix onto the toasts. Then mash the feta cheese with your fingertips and sprinkle it over the toasts with tomato mix. Put them in the oven and leave them till the cheese start to melt. Ready to Serve!

Main Course:

For your main course you should try to make something most people like. For girls in college, salads are often a safe bet. Add vegetables that everyone likes and make two bowls, one with a green salad and one with for example a chicken salad. This way everyone’s happy. Another idea is to make a pizza with everyone’s favorite toppings. With both dishes; BE CREATIVE! Use your imagination to make it special, by for example adding mango and grapes to the salad, or cashews to the pizza. Everything’s allowed!

Dessert:

My absolute best tip here for all UNH students is Memories Ice Cream! Memories Ice Cream is home made, and only sold from a farm outside Exeter. But it is the absolute best ice cream around! (Their Cookies & Cream is to die for!). It’s only a 20 minutes drive, so go out and get some, add berries and chocolate or caramel sauce and you have the perfect dessert!

Address for Memories Ice Cream Farm:
95 Exeter Road
Kingston, New Hampshire 03848
http://www.memoriesicecream.com/

A great way to round up this relaxing and renewing day/evening is with a good movie. Here are some picks that are perfect for a stress-less day:

– Notting Hill
– Love Actually
– Stardust
– Pretty Woman
– The Holiday
– Bridget Jones’ Diary
– Sex and the City (the movies)

Hope after this you feel ready to take on the world tomorrow! 

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.