Summer’s Sizzling Beach Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

White Girl Problems by Babe Walker

Chances are you’re probably already following @WhiteGirlProblems on twitter, which is definitely a valid enough reason to want to read this book. The author and main character of White Girl Problems, Babe Walker, also runs that twitter. After reading this book over spring break, it has been deemed a must-read for all my friends. Though Babe’s millionaire life isn’t exactly like everyone else’s, her sense of humor makes up for it. This book will have you laughing out loud as you read the stories of Babe’s life as to how she got into and out of shopping rehab. If someone can spend almost a quarter of a million dollars at Barney’s in one afternoon, then they definitely have some problems. Funny one’s at that.

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.             

If you’re into love, glamour and a bit of wit, then this book is calling your name Beautiful Ruins begins with scenes of a young Hollywood actress encountering an Italian hotel owner in Porto Vergogna, Italy in the 1960’s. Then the book proceeds to jump into present time Hollywood, where the reader is then introduced to Claire Silver who works for producer Michael Deane who produces reality TV. Deane was the one responsible for sending the young Hollywood actress (Dee Moray) to Porto Vergogna all those years ago. In the midst of the story, the young Italian man (Pasquale), who is now much older, comes to Hollywood in hopes of finding the beautiful actress he had previously met. With the help of Claire, Deane, and a screenwriter named Shane, Pasquale is able to do just that.

Charade by Nyrae Dawn.               

Any fan of Fifty Shades of Grey would like this toned down version. Cheyenne, who just began her freshman year of college, has a great older boyfriend. Or so she thinks until she catches him in the act of cheating. That’s when Cheyenne decides to get even. Her mother abandoned her when she was young and she grew up with her aunt and uncle who were able to give her anything she needed. She meets Colt, an older, tattooed, long-haired guy at a coffee shop. What she doesn’t know is that his mother is sick and dying and he was willing to do just about anything to get money to help his mom out. The two strike a bargain; they pretend to date to make Cheyenne’s ex jealous and in exchange she will pay him. Through this Cheyenne’s anxiety worsens, Colt deals drugs, and if that wasn’t complicated enough, their sexual tension could be cut with a knife.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

A Thyroid Cancer patient, Hazel, begins to attend a cancer support group where she meets and falls in love with an osteosarcoma survivor with an amputated leg named, Gus. She struggles with the fact that she doesn’t want to cause him pain by furthering the relationship only to lead to her death. He offers to take her to Amsterdam to meet author, Peter van Houten through his wish from “The Genies”. The couple has dinner with van Houten who is an alcoholic and becomes very rude to the two.  After they return from dinner, Gus confides in Hazel that his cancer is back and spreading through his body. This book is touching, because the reader can has sympathy for the young lovers and wants them to be together. Their illnesses push them apart time and time again. It’s up to you to find out if their love will overcome their sicknesses!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!