Life > Experiences

Study Abroad: What You Really Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you follow me on any form of social media, you know I studied abroad last semester in Barcelona. Before you ask — yes, it changed my life. Duh. In the weeks preceding my four months away, I watched and read countless amounts of study abroad content: what to pack, what NOT to pack, how to budget, you name it I watched it. However, after actually going abroad myself, I realized that “everything you need to know” is quite simple. So, here’s everything you really need to know before you study abroad: 

1. Save. Up. Money.

“Kylie, come on. This is so obvious,” you’re thinking to yourself. You would think so, but it is still my biggest piece of advice for anyone who plans to study abroad. While airfare is on the cheaper side, traveling every weekend adds up quickly! I saved about $6,000 and I’m so glad I did; you’re only there for a short period of time, and you don’t want to not be able to travel because you didn’t save money prior. *Disclaimer* I did have friends who went with less money than me and they made out fine; don’t stress about needing to go with thousands and thousands of dollars, just be mindful and try to save in advance.

2. Research trips beforehand

I like to have an itinerary beforehand, and I must say it is so helpful. Before I went on a trip, I researched the best neighborhood to stay in, where to eat, the must-see sights, etc. and made a rough plan for each day. Spending two or three days in a city means you have to cram experiences in — go prepared! It’s nice to wander around too, but I like to have a rough idea of the places I really want to see. 

3. PACK LIGHTLY

I am so grateful I packed lightly on the way there because boy did I buy things. I went to Barcelona with the bare basics: one white t-shirt, one black tee, two sweaters, two pairs of jeans, one pair of sneakers –- you get it –- simple pieces that can be worn into different outfits over and over. So many people I met brought their entire wardrobes with them, but I can guarantee the closet in your apartment won’t be that big and you’re going to have to buy another suitcase for the trip home.

4. Get ready to walk

Especially when I went away for the weekends, I was getting my steps in for sure. I’m talking over 20,000 steps in a day. With that being said, invest in a quality, cute pair of walking sneakers that you can wear on trips during the day and out at night. I brought by New Balance CT302s and they were the perfect neutral sneakers; they went with every outfit and literally felt like walking on clouds. 

5. You might want to go home at first. Don’t freak out.

The first few days into my study abroad experience, I was not feeling so hot; I had gone to Barcelona not knowing anyone, living with random girls (two of whom knew each other prior), and just feeling thrown into a big city. But, at the end of my first week there, I went to one of my orientation activities and met one of my best friends with whom I spent literally every day. So what I’m saying is: give it time. If you are like me and you’re going to study abroad not knowing anyone, don’t put pressure on yourself to have friends within the first couple of days! You will meet people and you will adjust, it just takes a little time.

Well, hopefully, these tips helped you feel a little more prepared. Or maybe you knew all of these things already. Either way, I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I know you’ll have an amazing time. Happy traveling!

Kylie is a senior English/Journalism student at UNH. She loves a good cold brew, The Office and any book by Emily Henry.