The Struggles of the Last Months Before Your Friends Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

During college a lot of people choose to broaden their horizons, travel the world and study a semester abroad. And sometimes you chose not to, even if your friends do and they end up abandoning your for a depressing, agonizing 4-5 months. But really, we’re happy for them. Maybe. Sort of. Well, we all have our struggles. 

And now you’re left to suddenly realize how much you see them and now you won’t for several months and your heart starts to break.

You now try to spend as much time as possible with them in the hopes they won’t forget you while they’re away. 

You’re feelings switch from sadness to fear to anger in a matter of twenty minutes thinking about them out there becoming cultured and leaving you to frat basements and the cob-webbed corners of the library. 

You secretly (and selfishly) hope something comes up (nothing too distract of course) so they can’t go and get to stay with you. Or maybe, just maybe their passport gets lost or their plane ticket… but you’d never do that. Would you?

And, as the days you creep up you notice they’re starting to realize they’re gonna miss you too.

As you look at your calendar you realize they’re going to miss very important dates like maybe a birthday, holiday or just your usual Thursday dinner dates.

Now they’re depart is only days away and you don’t know whether to cry or hide your emotions. Maybe a fight would work? Ya know, to make them leaving easier.

But then you realize you could never be mad at them and really are just truly heart broken you’ll be without them.

You really try to be happy for them, and deep down it’s hard but you just can’t seem to face it. You’re done making them feel bad so you put your own emotions away and start to get excited for them.

You help them pack, look at the all the places they’ll see, the restaurants they’ll eat at, the new and exciting things they’ll learn, the interesting people they’ll meet.. and oh ya, that means.. new friends.

After you’re jealous freakout you realize this is a once in a lifetime chance, they’re young and ready to flourish in a place they’ve always dreamed of going. And honestly, you couldn’t be more happy or excited for them even if you tried. 

And of course you make sure they call/text/facetime/skype/write and all the above so it’s like they never even left.

Just think of all the time they’ll never want to leave your side when they’re back.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!