Stay fit and have fun on Spring break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Spring break is right around the corner and you’ve worked your butt off (literally) over the past few months to get that body of yours beach ready.  You’ve done Insanity with Shaun T, P90X with Tony Horton and spent your time between classes squeezing those cardio sessions in.  Now that you feel confident enough to flaunt that teeny bikini on the beaches of Cancun, do not let all that hard work go to waste.  You can still maintain your fit body by following simple workout routines and swapping sugary cocktails for lower calorie alternatives!

Pack properly: Bikinis and sundresses are essentials for spring break, but equally as essential are sneakers and sports bras.  Having workout clothing in your suitcase can inspire you to hit the gym, or run the beach.  It also gives you an excuse to treat yourself to a cute new workout outfit which will inspire you to stay active.  Pack lightweigth loose fitting workout clothing so that your sweat can evaporate and help you beat the heat.

Make a routine: A quick thirty minute cardio session before breakfast can get you on track to burn calories throughout the day and give you that extra energy boost to help you survive the long day ahead.    Traveling with friends?  Use your friends as motivation, or motivate your friends.  Make a point to set aside time with them to walk the beach, swim a few laps or use the hotel gym.  This way you won’t suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out) because your friends will be right there with you. 

Choose wisely: Ditch the donuts and bagels and Opt for a breakfast of fresh fruits, oatmeal or Greek yogurt to feel fuller longer and avoid that extra pudge poolside.  Just because its spring break doesn’t mean you need to have that frozen drink with the umbrella in it.  The average Margarita packs 550 calories, which is roughly equivalent to a McDonalds Big Mac.  Instead try a vodka seltzer with a lime juice and spare yourself over 400 calories.  If you need to splurge a little to get that tropical vibe from you drink opt for a rum and pineapple as a substitute for a Pina colada. 

Beware of the Buffet:  Just because your spring break package is all-inclusive does not mean that you should take full advantage of it. Buffet style dining causes individuals to over indulge. Your eyes may be bigger than your stomach in most cases, so make sure to stay away from the fried foods and enjoy the buffet in moderation.  Second helpings need not apply.   

Have fun:  Stay active and have fun. You’ve waited and planned for spring break , so do not spend all that time being lazy and hungover.  Drink plenty of water and enjoy a few cocktails. At night spend your time dancing and having fun!

A great way to get in a workout while being a part of all the spring break action is to take your workout to the beach.  A quick easy workout that you can do right in the sand  is :3 sets of 20 lunges alternating left and right,  3 sets of 20 burpees, 3 sets of 20 push-ups, and of 3 sets of 50 sit ups will help you feel toned and confident in your bikini.  It will also take away some of the guilt from the day drinks ahead of you!