Spring Break Travel: Tips For A Safe And Enjoyable Trip

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As a young female traveler who has ventured across the world both in groups and solo, I’ve come to appreciate the significance of being well-prepared to ensure safety while traveling. By staying sharp and making informed decisions, you can enjoy a fantastic trip while keeping yourself out of harm’s way. With spring break just around the corner, I’m excited to share some of my favorite tips for safe and smart travel.

Trust Your Instincts

Arguably the most important tip, your intuition is a powerful tool. If a situation or person makes you feel uncomfortable, trust your gut and remove yourself from the situation immediately. It’s better to miss out than to risk putting yourself in harm’s way. Don’t hesitate to say no to activities or situations that don’t align with your boundaries or values. Remember, your safety and well-being are non-negotiable!

Research Your Destination

Before you depart, take the time to research your destination thoroughly. Familiarize yourself with the local customs, laws and any safety concerns specific to the area. This knowledge will allow you to make informed decisions and navigate your surroundings confidently.

Share Your Itinerary

Always share your travel itinerary with a trusted friend or family member. Include details such as your accommodation bookings, transportation plans and contact information. Check in regularly with someone back home to let them know you’re safe and sound.

Pack Light and Smart

Pack light and pack smart. Avoid drawing unnecessary attention to yourself by leaving expensive jewelry and flashy accessories at home. Invest in a travel backpack or crossbody bag with anti-theft features to keep your belongings secure while exploring.

Stay Connected

Make sure you understand your phone plan before traveling; international phone rates can be expensive. Oftentimes, you can buy a travel pass and pay around $5 to $10 per day while traveling. This way you can maintain open lines of communication with friends and family throughout your trip. Consider downloading safety apps that allow you to share your location with others while you travel.

Choose Safe Accommodations

Look for accommodations with positive reviews and strong security measures in place. Look for well-lit entrances, secure locks on doors and windows and reputable hosts or management. Consider booking accommodations in centrally located areas with easy access to public transportation.

Buddy Up

Whenever possible, travel with a buddy or in a group. There’s safety in numbers and having someone to watch your back can provide peace of mind, especially in unfamiliar environments. If you do venture out alone, let someone know your plans and check in regularly, do not share with anyone you meet that you are traveling alone!

Be Mindful of Alcohol Consumption

While it’s tempting to let loose and indulge during spring break, it’s important to drink responsibly. Keep an eye on your alcohol consumption, and never accept drinks from strangers or leave your drink unattended. Watch every bartender make your drink! Always have a plan for getting home safely if you’ve been drinking.

Stay Alert and Aware

Remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times. Pay attention to your surroundings, avoid distractions such as excessive phone use and trust your instincts if something feels off. Stay on well-lit and populated streets, especially at night.

By following these tips, you can embark on a spring break adventure with confidence, knowing that you’ve taken the necessary precautions to stay safe and enjoy every moment of your journey. Remember, these tips can apply to any trip you may take. Here’s to making unforgettable memories while prioritizing your safety every step of the way!

Paige is currently a senior studying business management with a focus on human resources and a minor in leadership. She is president of a student organization called the Human Resources Association and has an internship in HR. She loves meeting new people, the fall, and her dog.