Life > Experiences

Self reflection: Where have the last two years gone?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

By: Sarah LaPorte

It’s been 2 years since that dreaded day in March where we told  “hey two extra weeks of spring break!”. At first everyone was like hell yeah ok i can work with that i’m sure this whole coronavirus thing will just blow over. Oh how wrong we were. When corona started I was 18 and a freshman here at UNH now fast forward, I am in my second semester of junior year. Where the hell did the time go. As we enter our third year of the pandemic and as I approach my senior year of college, I tend to find myself thinking and reminiscing on the things that were missed due to the pandemic. It’s funny now how when I’m with my friends we talk about how much we miss freshman year and what we would do to have that time in our lives back. Most people would say they would never want to relive freshman year but I would do anything to have that back. One would think in such a dark time these last two years , time would go by slowly, but my time at college has gone by with a blink of an eye, even without the normal college experiences. I will say I also tend to think about how different my life would be if the pandemic had never happened. Would I still be friends with people I am no longer friends with? Would I even be dating my boyfriend that I am with now? Would I have met the people who have entered my life for the better? Would I have studied abroad? I think about this stuff quite often, but it almost scares me a bit how different my life would be if the pandemic never happened. I always think of the pandemic as a bad or negative thing that has happened in my and everyone’s lives and I am in no way saying it’s a good thing at all, but I have had more positive experiences that would not have happened if we did not have this pandemic. As we enter the third year of the pandemic and as I approach my senior year of college, I want to focus on the present and try not to get too attached to what can happen in the future as that is what Covid has taught me the most, is to expect the unexpected.

I am a junior at the University of New Hampshire studying Homeland Security and I have a dual minor in Justice Studies and History. I am from South Kingstown Rhode Island.