Life > Experiences

Rhode Island’s Top Spots from a Lil’ Rhody, Born and Raised

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Coming from someone born and raised in Rhode Island, it’s true what they say — no one ever leaves Rhode Island, and for a good reason. The smallest state in America is filled with ocean views, hiking trails on the coast, bridges overlooking lighthouses and deep blue water that remains breathtaking throughout all four seasons. Rhode Island is known to be a summer state, as it becomes overwhelmed with tourists during the summer months. But for those of us who reside there, we get to enjoy it all year round. I have been able to explore the state for the past twenty years and have compiled a list of my favorite sightseeing spots all along the Rhody coast. 

Beavertail State Park 

The first spot on my list is a state park called Beavertail in Jamestown, RI. The park is surrounded by ocean and cliffs on both sides, with a large lighthouse in the middle. There are walking trails, areas to picnic and even a small aquarium. In the summer, every bush is filled with bright pink beach roses that create a strong scent and, in the fall, the foliage is beautiful. The cliffs are relatively easy to climb on and explore, and you can even set up chairs or a blanket to sit on, which really makes you feel encompassed in the ocean. 

Fort Whetherill State Park 

This park is also in Jamestown, but has more of an adventurous feel to it than Beavertail. Now used for recreational and sightseeing purposes, it was previously used as a fort in the American Revolution. The fort is accessible to explore and has an eerie feel to it, as you can walk through it, but sometimes the underground tunnels get so small that you have to duck. Personally, I can’t last more than five minutes in the fort, because it has been claimed to be haunted. However, on the other side of the park, there are massive cliffs that are used for hiking, exploring and cliff jumping. There is an area with benches on top of a cliff that overlooks the ocean with castles on the other side of the water. This side has one of the best sunsets in Rhode Island. It is even the spot where my boyfriend asked me to be his girlfriend, so you could say it has a romantic feel to it. 

Narragansett Town Beach

The town beach in Narragansett, RI is a classic beachgoer and touristy spot. Having one of the best beaches in the state, it is always very crowded. There are cute little shops a short walk away and a seawall that you can walk along or sit on and take in the view. There are also lots of restaurants and cafes. My favorite thing to do is grab bagels and coffee and sit on the wall with my friends. 

Camp Cronin

Perhaps a more hidden, or less known Rhode Island location is a little cove-like beach called Camp Cronin. It’s found within a neighborhood in Narragansett and a short walk away from the infamous Iggy’s Doughboys and Chowder. I added this to the list because not only is it one of my favorite spots in the state, but also relatively quieter than most locations. 

Ocean Drive and Bellevue Mansions

My absolute favorite thing to do in Rhode Island is drive along Ocean Drive and Bellevue Ave located in Newport, RI. Starting on Bellevue, you’ll drive past a few historical mansions located on the coast of Newport. You can even tour these mansions, which I highly recommend, especially at Christmas time. Once Bellevue ends, you’ll continue your scenic drive of farmland, oceans, castles and coves. This will lead you to Ocean Drive, which looks exactly how it sounds — a road next to the ocean that twists and turns and has been said to remind people of California. My favorite thing to do here is to park the car, open the trunk, bring a picnic and watch the sunset. 

These are just a few of my favorite Rhody locations. There is so much more the little state has to offer. If you ever find yourself in the smallest state, I hope you’ll take my recommendations and visit these awesome spots in Rhode Island. 

Amy is a junior at the University of New Hampshire studying communication sciences and disorders. Amy was born and raised in Rhode Island and went to East Greenwich High School, where she was Varsity captain of her women's fastpitch softball team. She has been a camp counselor for five years, with one year as Camp Supervisor, creating a fun and safe environment for a wide array of ages. She has a deep passion for working with children and finds them inspiring as they teach her lots about patience and looking at the world in new and exciting ways. In her free time, she enjoys yoga, writing, and being by the water.