Reasons Not To Hook Up With Your Ex Over Christmas Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you’re anything like me then you definitely have that one ex boyfriend that you just can’t seem to get away from and maybe don’t want to get away from. No matter how much you still care about them, hooking up while being back for break is the worst thing you can do for so many reasons. You like to tell yourself differently because nobody wants to actually admit they’re wrong, but distancing yourself from this messy situation is the most beneficial thing you can do for the both of you.

1. They’re in your past for a reason

Life goes on and you can’t keep dwelling on something that has come and gone. Seeing your ex is the ultimate reminder of what used to be and with that come the memories and the feelings. Before you know it all the progress you’ve made on getting them out of your head goes right down the drain and you’re landed right where you started. It’s nice to be able to reminisce on the memories you’ve had, but let’s keep the past in the past and move on with our lives because that’s what we deserve.

2. The inevitable drama

Running back to your ex the second you get home might feel safe and be the ultimate sense of comfort, but in no way does that make it right. Chances are you haven’t been broken up for that long and whatever drama caused you to break up is probably close to the surface. Getting together only puts you at risk of that damage resurfacing and pushing the two of you even further away. Keep yourself busy whether it be hanging out with friends or family. It will take your mind off the “ex subject” and cause you to be less likely to reach out to him/her.

3. The mind games

Hooking up only creates more problems and confuses everything. Feelings start to come back and suddenly you’re hopeful of getting back together when really all the other person wants is to get a little action. It might seem like a great idea in the moment but once it’s over the only thing you’re left with is being labeled as the dumb broad who can’t move past her high school senior of an ex boyfriend (true story, it ain’t fun). So save yourself the unneeded embarrassment and listen to Oprah. 

4. Listen to your head not your heart

It seems like we’re always torn between our head or heart. It’s a constant battle between which is right and wrong. They say the heart wants what it wants and this may be true, but in reality your head knows what’s right for you and sometimes even what your heart doesn’t want to believe. Obviously this whole concept is easier said than done, but I guarantee if you give it a shot it will lead you to be happier in the long run and leave you without regrets the next morning.

5. There’s plenty of fish in the sea

There are 7 billion people in the world so why do we get caught up on one person? We are so young and still have so much living to do. One failed relationship isn’t the end of the world and you can’t give up all hope on ever finding somebody. My advice for you is to focus on yourself and get out into the world. Travel or explore the world and you’ll be surprised at how many amazing people you will meet. Before you know it, your ex will be just another memory leaving room for you to make plenty more.

They say the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else. I know it’s tough being home on break, in your hometown and wanting nothing more than to just see your ex in hopes that things will go back to normal, but I can assure you, you are being irrational and THEY WILL NOT.. Take it from someone who has been back and forth with my ex more times than I can count. So for all you ladies out there that are even contemplating getting together with the ex over break, I beg you to reconsider and realize what a huge mistake you’re about to make. Whenever I’m feeling down I can always count on the one and only T Swift to lift my spirits and remind me to keep my respect for myself bigger than my want for you. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!