how to set boundaries at work?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
how to set boundaries at work?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
20th Century Fox
Career > Work

Post-Graduation Job Hunting

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Caps off to us, we’ve made it through the final exams, the late-night cram study sessions and even the dreaded group projects. As we turn our energy away from college academics, we’re faced with a new kind of test: the job hunt, wondering, “Now what?” We’re talking resumes lost in a lot of online applications, ghosting by recruiters and the existential dread of answering, “So, what’s next?” at every family gathering. Here’s how you can tackle the job market even when you aren’t quite sure what to look for.

Network like there’s no tomorrow!

Networking post-graduation plays a crucial role in bridging the gap between academic achievements and entering the professional workforce. It provides a platform for recent graduates to connect with industry professionals, mentors and fellow alumni who can offer insights, advice and most importantly, job opportunities. In a nutshell, getting out there and making connections can seriously open doors for you that just sending out resumes won’t.

Craft a Resume That Screams “Hire Me”

Your resume should be more than a list of courses and clubs; it should tell the story of you. Maybe you’re a creative problem-solver, a detail-oriented data person or a charismatic leader who can rally a team towards any goal. This is your chance to make a strong first impression, so give it some personality while keeping it professional. Don’t overlook the power of your extracurricular activities, especially if you’re early in your career. These experiences can showcase soft skills like leadership, teamwork and communication abilities, which are pretty much gold on a resume.

Personalize Your Pitch

Crafting a personalized pitch means tailoring your message to align seamlessly with the job and company you’re applying to. It’s about showcasing the skills and experiences that make you an ideal candidate for the position. When you write your cover letter or introductory email, it should reflect a clear understanding of the company’s goals, challenges and culture. Reference specific aspects of the company that resonate with you and explain how your background positions you to contribute meaningfully to those areas. When I was researching the job I was just hired for, I noticed on their website how high their retention rate was. I was sure to include that in my cover letter and during my interview as to why I want to work for this company. By doing this, you’ll demonstrate that you’re not just applying to any job that comes your way, but that you have a genuine interest in this particular role and company. This approach sets you apart as a thoughtful and strategic candidate who’s invested in the opportunity to make a real impact.

Embrace Rejection

You’ll get no’s. A lot of them. But each no is closer to a yes. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and in terms of jobs, I definitely think it applies. It’s a numbers game where persistence is key. With each application you send out and each interview you complete, you’re building your skills, learning what works and what doesn’t and getting better at presenting your best self to potential employers. Don’t think of each rejection as a door closed but as a redirection toward the opportunity that’s truly meant for you. Remember that each “no” also brings valuable insights. Maybe you’ll learn about an industry preference you hadn’t considered, or you’ll discover a skill gap you can work on. This process is as much about self-discovery as it is about landing a job.

Remember to Support Your Mental Health

Job hunting is a marathon, not a sprint. It’s important to acknowledge that the process can be mentally and emotionally draining. To prevent burnout, it’s crucial to balance your job search with activities that promote well-being and relaxation. Just like you schedule time for sending out applications and networking, schedule time for self-care as well. Remember to stay connected with friends and family. Social support is key during stressful times. Share your experiences, vent if you need to and let those you trust offer you the support and encouragement that can keep you going. Also, celebrate the small victories. Did you finish tailoring a cover letter? Great! Did you get a call back, even if it didn’t turn into a job offer? That’s progress. These small steps are building blocks towards your goal.

Stay tenacious. It’s the beginning of a new chapter, and it’s waiting for you just around the corner. Keep learning, keep growing and most importantly, keep believing that your dream job is out there.

University of New Hampshire’24 Business Administration Major