An Open Letter To Anyone Who Has Been Doubted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Soccer has been a passion of mine ever since I stepped out on the field at the age of four. Youth sports are easy and fun for everyone. They bring us together at a young age and teach us the meaning of being a team. They teach us what it means to be motivated, we should never give up, and always give everything we got. I have always loved the feeling of healthy competition, and it has motivated me to do my best which meant leaving everything I have on the field. I put my heart in every game, no matter the conditions or circumstances. That’s what you do when you love something. You give it your all because of that passion inside of you and you do it for the team around you.

An Open Letter:

This letter goes out to anyone who has had someone question your passion for something you love. I am beyond thankful for the opportunity to have been playing soccer for the last 16 years of my life, and my passion and love for the game has only grown stronger over the years. But…it’s so hard to keep that passion going when someone keeps doubting you, breaking you down and questioning you. That feeling sucks. It leaves you questioning if they are right and questioning yourself.

I’ve learned to not let them get to me. If you have a passion for something, please don’t let someone try and take that away from you. Hold that closest to you because that is something that makes you happy, despite what anyone tries to tell you. No one should ever be able to take that away from you, and no one should ever be able to question your intentions.

Because of the person questioning and doubting me, I have come to terms that all you can do is prove that person wrong. It’s hard sometimes. It’s hard to keep moving forward when you know that that person has been so awful and has been trying to break you done. It’s hard knowing that you might not get what you want in return. But we can’t let that happen since we have invested so much of our time and energy into something we love. We can’t let that person take our love and passion away.

I tend to forget that I am doing this for myself and not the person that has discouraged me. It is so important to remember that we do these things because WE love them, and we cannot let those people in our lives control that. So please make a promise to yourself, that you will continue to follow your passion even if someone tries to get in the way. Do it for your teammates, friends, family or anyone that means something to you, BUT don’t forget to do it for yourself.

What I really want to say is, do what makes you happy or what you’re passionate about, and don’t let someone ever try and take that away from you.

UNH Women's Soccer #8
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!