This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Just like a lot of kids, I would constantly daydream about my future and try to picture where I would be, what I would be doing, and who I would be with. I set a lot of goals for myself to accomplish by the time I was a young adult and couldn’t wait to see how my life would turn out. Although some goals were a little unrealistic (rich, famous, married to Joe Jonas…), I would definitely say that my younger self would be proud of what I’ve accomplished so far in my nearly 21 years of life. Here’s a few that I know she’d like:

1. I got into college.

As a kid, going to college always seemed so far away. I knew that I wanted to go to college and have the classic college experience, so I know that my younger self would definitely be proud that I got into a couple different colleges and ended up at UNH, a place that I’ve been so lucky to call home for the past three years now. 

2. I have an amazing friend group.

During my childhood, I actually didn’t have that many friends. I was really quiet and kept to myself. I would always dream of the day that I had a real friend group instead of just a couple friends and acquaintances here and there. Well, thanks to college and my sorority, I’ve found myself a great friend group and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

3. I gained a lot of self-confidence and I’m finally comfortable in my own skin.

Being a kid is hard. You’re going through so many changes and your self-confidence is usually at an all-time-low. I remember being so self-conscious all the time and hating the way I looked and felt. I honestly didn’t think I would ever gain confidence or be genuinely content in my own skin. I just know my younger self would be insanely proud and happy to find out that I actually reached this goal and am now the most confident I’ve ever been.

4. I’m happy.

Looking back on my childhood and into my teenage years, I struggled a lot with mental health issues. I always felt anxious, depressed, and out of place. I found it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I feared that I would never be truly happy. Although I still struggle with my mental health to this day, it’s nothing like before. I’m so glad that I was able to find happiness and get out of that dark place I was stuck in for such a long time. My younger self honestly probably wouldn’t believe me, but I know she would be so proud that I made it out alive.

Senior at the University of New Hampshire
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!