My Top 5 Favorite Comfort Shows to Rewatch

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The act of watching comfort shows can be a form of self-care and stress relief. In the midst of a hectic day or during challenging times, immersing yourself in the familiar world of a comfort TV show can provide a much-needed break and a chance to recharge. Comfort shows can come in various forms, from classic sitcoms to beloved animated series. It all depends on what you’re into, and their appeal lies in the emotional connection they create with their audience. So if you’re ever in need of a new show to obsess over, here are a few of my favorites:

Modern Family 

Starting off with one of the most effortlessly easy shows to binge: Modern Family. Modern Family is a show with an innovative format, unique family dynamics and heartwarming moments that successfully combine humor with moments of genuine emotion. The show explores a variety of themes, including marriage, parenthood, cultural differences and social issues, all while maintaining a comedic and uplifting tone.

Where to watch: Hulu

Glee

For a show known mostly for its musical performances, it definitely wins the award for most creative and admirable storytelling. It explores the characters’ growth and development, touching on social issues such as bullying, LGBTQ+ representation and endless moments of self-discovery. And not to mention, the soundtrack just happens to make its way into my Spotify Wrapped every year. 

Where to watch: Hulu, Disney Plus

The Last of Us

If you’re looking for less of a sitcom and for something with more of a sci-fi element, this one’s for you. Originally based on a video game, The Last Of Us is a post-apocalyptic storytelling of Joel, an apathetic survivor, and Ellie, a young girl with a unique immunity to an infection that took over the world. Between the show’s high-quality protection values and its ability to pull at your heartstrings, it is most definitely worth the watch. 

Where to watch: HBO Max

Heartstopper 

Originally based on a popular British webcomic, Heartstopper follows the story of Nick and Charlie, two teenagers navigating their romance in high school. The show beautifully captures the ups and downs of their relationship, providing a heartfelt and relatable portrayal of the ups and downs of LGBTQ+ experiences in high school, while further exploring themes of identity, friendship, love and acceptance.

Where to watch: Netflix

How I Met Your Mother 

Last but not least is my all-time favorite. A classic just as beloved as any other, How I Met Your Mother uses a combination of farce comedy, clever wordplay and running gags to keep its audience entertained. Ultimately, whether you enjoy sitcoms with humor, friendship and a touch of romance, or if you appreciate clever storytelling techniques, this show is for you, and in my opinion, better than Friends by a landslide. 

Where to watch: Hulu

Amanda is a freshman at UNH originally from Massachusetts. She is majoring in communication. In her free time, Amanda loves reading, being outdoors, and spending time with friends.