yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

My Favorite Things to do Around New Hampshire in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Growing up in New Hampshire I have always had a deep appreciation for fall. I don’t know if it’s because of the beautiful foliage, the fact that it’s sweater weather, or even all the fun festivities that make me feel nostalgic, but it is by far my favorite season. As a kid I have always loved autumn, partially because it was a time that felt like home to me. My family has adopted many traditions over the years for the fall season that are now some of my favorite childhood memories. With fall right around the corner I wanted to share my favorite things to do in the fall around New Hampshire. 

Apple Picking

Apple Picking is hands down my favorite fall activity. When I was younger, I would go apple picking every year. My favorite apple orchard is Apple Crest in Hampton Falls. They always have something fun going on during the weekends of late September and October, and not to mention some of the best apple cider doughnuts around. For a perfect weekend activity, I highly suggest grabbing a few of your friends and going apple picking.

Going Pumpkin Picking/To a Farm Stand

I know going pumpkin picking in college seems a bit impractical, but it’s just one of those things that makes me feel like a kid again. You don’t necessarily have to buy a pumpkin (because chances are you have no need for one) but it’s just another inexpensive activity to do this fall. As a kid, my mom would take us to a local farm stand in October where we would pick out some pumpkins to decorate our front porch. Being older now, it’s still fun to look around at a farm stand and definitely puts you in the fall mood.

The Kancamagus Highway

For those of you who haven’t made your way up towards North Conway and the White Mountains, I strongly recommend doing it before you graduate. The Kancamagus Highway is the perfect route to take in the beautiful fall foliage. It is one of the biggest tourist attractions in New Hampshire around this time of year, for good reasons. The scenic drive gives you a front row seat of just how beautiful nature can be. There are plenty of rest stops to pull over and take pictures, or just enjoy the view. My family would always check out the foliage when I was younger, making the drive on the Kancamagus Highway one of my favorite things to in the fall. 

L.L.Bean Outlet

Another tradition my family had was taking a drive up to Freeport, Maine, to visit the L.L.Bean store. We would stock up for the fall and winter, and just make a day out of the whole experience (believe me, you can). The store is huge, with so many twists and turns that you could spend hours there. As someone who has grown up in New Hampshire their whole life, I would highly recommend going there and gearing up, especially since our winters are rough. It’s not too far from campus, and is a perfect activity for the weekend.

Now that I am older I want to continue making memories through the traditions I loved as a child. I know I will be doing some of these activities this fall, and encourage you to do the same! 

Hi I'm Sophia Badala! I am a senior here at UNH studying Business Administration with a focus in Marketing. This is my fourth year writing for Her Campus and I love being a part of this team!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!