Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Must-Haves for a Plane Ride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Plane rides have always been a weird experience for me; I don’t usually feel motion-sick or anxious, but I always end up just feeling gross– like a dehydrated and sluggish type of ickiness. With spring break coming up next week (!!), lots of us have plane rides quickly approaching- for those looking for ideas on how to feel great, or at least normal, on planes, these are a few of my carry-on bag essentials.

1. Sunscreen

For us window-seat lovers, sun-damage is a real concern on planes. While you won’t necessarily get sunburnt, the type of UV radiation we’re exposed to in the air is still cancerous, and being directly exposed to it for hours on end is disastrous for our skin. Carry-on sunscreen is an absolute must-have; not only will this protect your skin from cancer, but it also helps combat the dry air on planes.

2. Vaseline

Speaking of the dry air, another must-have is Vaseline (or any brand of petroleum jelly). When I’m on a plane, I use this for chapped lips, dry hands, and any areas on my face that feel cactus-y. Plane air pretty much sucks the moisture out of us since there’s barely any humidity in the altitudes the planes fly at; for me, that means overcompensating for that lack of moisture by constantly reapplying Vaseline.

3. Face mist

Another way to combat the dry air is with a hydrating facial mist; usually, these are made with aloe vera and rosewater, both of which smell amazing and helps to keep everything fresh and dewy.

4. Ginger gum

If you love drinking ginger ale on planes, try ginger gum! If you get motion sickness, ginger is amazing for nausea, and chewing gum can help prevent your mouth from getting too dry. Chewing gum also helps prevent pressure-build up with ascending and descending, which can bother some travelers- especially if you’re traveling with a cold (the sinus congestion makes it much harder to adjust when taking off and landing!).   

5. Mini mouthwash

Depending on the length of the plane ride, keeping a small bottle of mouthwash with you can be game-changing.  I’ve noticed that along with turning my skin into a desert, the cabin air also leaves a terrible taste in my mouth, and while eating mints can help, rinsing with mouthwash is much more satisfying and longer lasting. If the flight is long enough, buying travel toothpaste and packing a toothbrush is sometimes the way to go too.

6. Neck pillow

This is a classic travel essential, but I absolutely love neck pillows. I don’t sleep well on planes (or any other kind of transportation), so staying comfortable- especially for red-eye flights- is super important. If you’re a frequent flyer, a good-quality neck pillow is a great investment to make; however, as someone who only flies once every few years, my cheap neck pillow I’ve had since I was in middle school also does the trick.  

Emily is a junior Neuroscience & Behavior major on the pre-med track at University of New Hampshire. She loves all things medicine, music, and art, and when she's not studying she can be found spending time with friends or her cat.