Mireille Hartley ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Mireille Hartley, a senior here at UNH, has consistently worked hard throughout her four years as a Wild Cat. She is a smart, fun loving, and determined young woman who always seems to be going above and beyond. As the former President of her sorority Chi Omega and the former Panhellenic Council President, as well as being an honors student and the current Vice President of Order of Omega, there has never been a leadership position that Mireille has not been able to take on and accomplish. In May, Mireille will be graduating, and yet again going above and beyond what the average college graduate. On May 30th Mireille will be packing her bags for Memphis, Tennessee where she will teach underprivileged children as a teacher for the organization known as Teach for America.

– HC: What is Teach for America and what exactly goes the organization do?
– Mireille: Teach for America is a program established 20 years ago that selects individuals to teach in 39 regions across the country. Every region puts teachers in classrooms with underprivileged students because TFA believes that every child deserves the opportunity to receive a good education. Only half of children from impoverished areas will graduate from high school and TFA is committed to changing this. School systems in these areas also face economic challenges in providing adequate education so TFA focuses on providing excellent teachers in these schools who are all trained to understand that we can make a difference and every child can learn and succeed if given the chance.

– HC: Why did you decide to apply to be a teacher for Teach for America?
– Mireille: I decided to work for TFA because of all of the amazing aspects of the organization. First, it gives people my age the opportunity to teach with no prior experience. I never thought that teaching was something I’d be interested in, but TFA is truly aiming to make a difference in society and after learning more about all that it has accomplished, I began to really take an interest in educational inequality across the country. Second, I wanted to throw myself into something completely new and different while I’m still young enough to be able to do so. On May 30th I’ll be moving to Memphis, TN to begin my training and I’m so excited to live somewhere else other than the Northeast and to learn more about other cultures. Third, I’ve always wanted to work with people (I always was interested in becoming a Psychologist) and education really does have an impact on everyone. I don’t think that I will be a teacher for the rest of my life, but I want to learn more about how one’s experience in school as a child can influence who he/she becomes later in life.

– HC:  What’s your major and does being a teacher for TFA have anything to do with it?
– Mireille:  Yes, TFA 100% has something to do with my major. Psychology is an important part of teaching, especially in the type of school I will be in. Underprivileged kids are typically told that they will not and cannot succeed as soon as they enter elementary school. They become discouraged and lose their confidence in themselves, which in turn hinders their ability to think independently, work with others, and ultimately do well in class. Working with these kids to increase their motivation, self-esteem, and to just be able to show them that they can do the same things in school that their counterparts from better backgrounds can is very psychological. Teaching requires that we understand what kids are thinking and feeling because if they don’t want to learn, then success will never be an option.

– HC: Where will you live? Will you be compensated for your work?
– Mireille: I will live in Memphis, most likely with others from TFA. There are 175 people in my “corps” (i.e., 175 people applying this year will be placed in Memphis). We are required to find our own housing, but TFA provides tons of options and sets us up with a lot of different landlords in the city. In terms of payment, I am paid by the city of Memphis. I am a teacher just like any other and receive whatever the average salary is for teachers in that area. I also receive money from Americorps that I can use towards either my existing student loans or my Masters Degree, depending on what I choose. There is loan forbearance for my 2 year commitment meaning that I don’t have to begin paying my loans until after I’m done teaching and I also don’t have to pay interest that accrues on them over that period. Since I am a regular teacher I also get teacher benefits like health insurance and TFA makes it easier to get a Masters in Education through the partner university in Memphis. All in all the financial benefits are GREAT!

– HC: What are you most nervous about?
– Mireille: I’m most nervous about moving somewhere where I don’t know anyone. I’m obviously concerned about the job in general, but I feel that TFA does a great job of training us and also that the support systems they offer in the form of TFA staff and setting up connections between corps members help make the transition into teaching as easy as possible. I’ve always been busy in college so I’m prepared to work long hours and be constantly tired. More than anything, leaving my comfort zone at UNH is what scares me. I love my friends here and leaving them behind is going to be SO difficult. It’s hard for me to imagine that I’m going to make other friends that will be just as great and I’m nervous to see how I’m going adjust to living in the south.

– HC: What are you most excited about?
– Mireille: I’m most excited to be an adult!! I know it sounds silly, but I’m really looking forward to having a stable job and making my own money and just living on my own. I think that the whole experience will be so rewarding in so many ways and I’m so lucky that I get to take part in TFA’s mission. I think that it’s so exciting to take this opportunity to move somewhere else and meet new people and take on such a difficult position!

– HC: How long will you be teaching for TFA?
– Mireille: The commitment is 2 years.

– HC: What do you hope to get out of teaching for TFA?
– Mireille: There are SO many things I hope to get out of it, I don’t even know where to begin. I think more than anything I just want a broader knowledge of what goes on in our country, meaning that I want to learn about other cultures and see what social problems look like up close. I’ve read about how educational equality affects everyone and how impoverished children struggle to do well, but I can’t even imagine what it looks like up close. I’m also looking to get my Masters Degree in Education and to potentially use this degree to do counseling. However, I also might consider getting another degree after my commitment, possibly in public policy or social work so that I can work within the education system in another way.

Good luck Mireille! Her Campus UNH knows you will be an AMAZING teacher! We hope you have an AWESOME experience and wish you the absolute best.

Laura Tentas is a Junior Business Marketing major at the University of New Hampshire's Whittemore School of Business and Economics. She is the Vice President of the Marketing and Advertising Club at the Whittemore School and past Vice President of Recruitment for her sorority, Alpha Phi International Fraternity, Eta Alpha Chapter. Laura enjoys snowboarding, bikram yoga and anything to do with the ocean. She hopes to some day write a novel and her favorite TV show is Law and Order SVU.