This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Start early: Don’t leave packing until the last minute. Begin as soon as you can to avoid rushing and feeling stressed.

Create a packing plan: Make a checklist or a plan that outlines the steps you need to take. Break down the tasks into smaller, more manageable ones to make it easier to track your progress.

Gather packing supplies: Collect boxes, packing tape, markers, bubble wrap, and other necessary supplies before you start packing. Having everything on hand will save you time and frustration.

Sort and declutter: Take the opportunity to declutter your belongings. Separate items into categories such as summer, winter, keep, and donate.

Pack by category or room: Organize your packing by category or room to make unpacking at your new location easier. Pack similar items together and label the boxes accordingly. For example, pack all your books together and label the box as “Books” for easy identification later.

Label everything: Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it belongs to. This will save you time and effort when unpacking and trying to find specific items.

Take pictures of electronic setups: If you have complex electronic setups, such as a computer or TV, take pictures before disassembling them. This will help you remember how to set them up again in your new space.

Use proper packing techniques: When packing fragile items, use bubble wrap or packing paper to protect them. Fill empty spaces in boxes with packing materials to prevent items from shifting during transportation.

Pack essential items separately: Pack a separate box or bag with essential items you’ll need immediately upon arrival at your new place. This could include toiletries, a change of clothes, important documents, and any other items you might need immediately.

Seek help if needed: Don’t hesitate to ask friends or family for help if you need assistance with the packing process. It can make the task more enjoyable and less burdensome.

Jade is a sophomore at the University of New Hampshire.