Make The Grade This Semester At UNH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Entering the first week of March, it is officially mid-semester here at UNH. Excitement sets in as Spring Break is only a week away, but the lingering question on most collegiette’s minds as midterms arise, is whether or not they will be finishing with A’s at the end of the semester. Knee deep in what feels like endless amounts of work, ensuring good grades can really increase our levels of stress. Fortunately, with countless academic resources on campus, guaranteeing a successful semester academically doesn’t have to remain a daunting task. Take a look at a few of the many campus resources and tips available, which you may not even realize exist! Make this semester at UNH your best yet!

1)   Office Hours: As obvious as this may seem, office hours are the perfect place to seek out professors on a one-on-one basis. Professors hold office hours for your benefit, not so they can spend 2 hours sitting in their office alone. While it may feel intimidating to seek out professors individually, going to office hours is only beneficial as it is the perfect place to iron out misconceived concepts and ideas from class, ask questions, and address any other comments or concerns you may have. Most professors make the point to say you WILL do better if you take advantage of their office hours. Visiting office hours can really make or break how well you do in class and on assignments, so take advantage of your professor’s time. Not only will this help you do well in class, but it also shows your professor you have the initiative and drive to want to do well in class. Participation points, anyone?  

2)   CFAR: The Center For Academic Resources, commonly known around campus as CFAR, is the ultimate academic resource. Available to help you in all areas regarding your studies, CFAR can assist you with goal setting, the implementation of positive study habits, test prep, note-taking, and much more. CFAR is the perfect go-to location for all concerns regarding your studies, offering academic counseling, peer academic mentors, study skills clinics, and a ‘Study Smart’ series, including “Ways to Get As” seminars available to all students at UNH. Posted on the CFAR website are various helpful resources, including a ‘Campus Resources Handout’ and ‘Top Places to Study’ worksheet for your use. CFAR can help you figure out what works for you academically, ensuring you work smarter and more efficiently towards your goals. Located in Smith Hall, across the street from Thompson Hall, stop by after class and sign up for an appointment! With better, more effective habits, increasing improvement in your classes will come naturally!

3)   Robert J. Connor’s Writing Center: Feel like writing is not your strongest area? Visit the Writing Center located next to the Reference Desk on the 3rd floor of Dimond Library. Workers in the writing center are available to assist you in writing as well as the process of writing, and any other concerns you may have regarding writing assignments. One hour individualized appointments pertaining to your specific needs can be made online up to one week in advance. The Writing Center staff is there to help you work through your writing, helping you to gain the analytical skills to make your writing the best it can be. Besides, eliminating the stress behind writing is half the battle! The Writing Center can even send messages to your professors, letting them know you took the extra step to improve your writing by visiting them for assistance. This campus resource is the perfect place to polish your writing style as well as gain useful tips and tricks for perfecting your writing. Besides, who wouldn’t love an A on their next essay?

4)   Spaces for Private/Group Study  (Dimond Library & Breakout Rooms, Paul College): Can’t study in your room? Are your lounges too loud? Do your surroundings distract you easily? Dimond Library and Paul College offer private rooms available for students to check out for various academic purposes, including group study, group work, or just a quiet place to complete work away from everyone else. These rooms can be reserved online or by visiting the Information Desk in the lobby of Dimond Library. These rooms are great for improving your studies, making it easier to work without a million things going on around you. Breakout rooms in Paul and specified rooms in Dimond also offer large computer monitors for group use as well. Not only can these quiet environments improve efficiency, but it can help your focus as well. Work hard in these motivating environments and see the positive results reflected in your grades! 

Take advantage of any or all of these academic resources available to you throughout the semester and be amazed at the improvement of your work; it’s never too late to find the help you need and end the semester with a stellar GPA! 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!