Less Meat, More Protein!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Until I tried the lifestyle of a vegetarian, I would be the person scoffing at those who were. Before I first read about the treatment of animals in slaughter houses, and looked further into what nutrients our bodies need, I had no idea how many benefits there were to cutting meat out of our diets. This is not a persuasion piece, but more of an eye opener and something for readers to think about when trying to create a healthy life style for themselves.

But Where Do You Get Your Protein?
The most obnoxious question a vegetarian hears on a daily basis. Despite the fact that there are multiple ways of getting meatless protein in our bodies, such as tofu, (which contains more protein per ounce than some meat anyways,) protein is not necessarily the biggest nutrition concern for humans. This question is enough to send a vegetarian into snapping her fingers and walking away from the conversation with a tsk tsk.

I mean, c’mon. Who honestly has time between studying and going to class to eat perfectly healthily as well? If you are like me, then throwing down an apple or banana into your daily food consumption merits a pat on the back. Well done, you. However, in sad actuality, and according to the newest edition of MyPlate.gov, each person is required to make half their plate dark, green vegetables if they want to start off on the right foot for a perfectly healthy diet. Let me repeat that. Half their plate. Um, yeah, right. Think about what you ate already today and what you’re most likely going to consume for the rest of the day. I seriously doubt many people even come close to following this healthy recommendation. 
By the way, a big, healthy breakfast full of eggs and meats is rich in “protein,” right? Therefore, it must be a perfect way to start off our metabolism each morning. 
Wrong!

Through media, advertising, and misconstrued information permeating through the airwaves and sneaking in between the cracks of society, we are made to believe that we lead pretty healthy lifestyles. Well, we don’t. But dry your tears. Don’t feel depressed by this notion. There are ways to alternate your eating habits. It is possible.

Before I became aware of the facts regarding a vegetarian lifestyle, I would be the first person to scoff at a meatless eater, point my fingers and laugh, and then dive into my quarter pounder with cheese from McDonald’s. (Extra pickles.) I am not pushing a completely new vegetarian lifestyle on readers, but am instead hoping to educate the women who are unaware of the facts I was unaware of not so long ago. 
Just limiting oneself from most meat-based meals can greatly influence a healthier body and mind. Popular American dishes are based around meat, with starch and vegetables on the side. This should be flipped to the opposite. The main portion should be vegetable with protein on the side. Look at your fingers. Unless you are into acrylics, humans do not have claws. We don’t have fangs or agile muscle reflexes either.

Therefore, we would not be able to venture out in the wild, kill a cow, and consume it. That kind of meat is not supposed to go into our bodies as readily as speaking into an intercom box and pulling up to the second window. Our ancestors mainly ate nuts and berries, and maybe fish or chicken if they could catch it.
Also, slaughterhouses across America are brutally repulsive. Unheard of treatment to animals and how they are killed happen every minute of every day. With such a high demand for meat in the country, we are ignorant if we think each animal is given a kind and painless farewell. Most are not fully tranquilized when they are dipped in a vat or boiling water or stun gunned and shot to death.

If we focus mostly on limiting meat consumption, our bodies will still be hungry. But instead of filling our tummies with steak and cheese subs, we will be forced to fill them with more fruits, and most importantly, more vegetables to satisfy our hunger. Maybe an attempt at a vegetarian lifestyle is the perfect remedy to the seemingly unfathomable concept of a more vegetable-based diet. 

Marissa Marano is a senior at University of New Hampshire. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Communications with a minor in Business. She is from Danbury, Connecticut. She is involved in her sorority Alpha Phi at school as well as the Marketing Club. Outside of school Marissa enjoys blogging, traveling, and shopping.