This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Kenzie McCabe! Kenzie spent her Spring Break a little differently than most of us. This past week, Kenzie was in West Virginia on a mission trip along with other UNH students. Hear all about her Spring Break adventure in this week’s exclusive Her Campus interview!

Name: Kenzie McCabe

Hometown: Amherst, NH

Grade: Sophomore

Major: Biology

Activities/Clubs: Chi Omega, ABC, Red Cross Club

When did you start going on these mission trips and where did you hear about them?

I started going on mission trips my senior year of high school. I went to New Orleans to rebuild houses with 20 or so kids in my grade. I loved getting the chance to help out another community other than my own and wanted another opportunity to do so. Once I heard about the Alternate Break Challenge at U day, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to volunteer again. ABC works with Habitat for Humanity during the week of UNH’s Spring Break each year and there are various locations the groups are sent to (I was in the West Virginia location). 

What project did you work on this past week?

This past week, we worked at an elderly man’s house building him a handicap ramp. He lives in Lewisburg, West Virginia and is the sweetest elderly man. Each day he came out and kept us company while we worked, which was awesome. In addition to building the ramp, we scrapped and repainted his house a lovely white. Each day on the job, his sister came around noon and provided us with a lunch.

What is your favorite part about these trips?

My favorite part about these mission trips is being able to give back to others. I have always loved to volunteer and take every opportunity I get to volunteer my time to my community. Another plus about these trips is meeting new people and making friendships. This past week I made great connections with the nine other students on this trip. We all had a wonderful time volunteering together as well as exploring all that West Virginia had to offer.

How can we get involved if we would like to go on a mission trip next year?

If you would like to get involved next year to participate or lead a trip, contact unhabc@gmail.com or find them on Facebook at UNH ABC.

Your Favorites:

Favorite Dining Hall: Philly

Favorite Coffee Place: The Hut (DUH)

Favorite UNH Memory: Homecoming

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!