Keep Your Kicks Looking Fr3$h

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you’re anything like me you’ll hold onto that favorite pair of shoes until they’re just shy of a couple threads and whatever’s left of the soles.  Call me crazy but when you find that special pair you’ll hold onto to those babies for as long as possible.  With that said, it’s no secret that shoes go through a lot of wear and tear and may be in desperate need of some TLC, especially after long nights of strutting them around.  Here are a few tips to mend your shoes without breaking the piggy bank (for those of us ballin’ on a budget).

For those of us that have experienced the tragedy of a broken or loose sole on the bottom of your favorite boot or sandal it can be fixed within minutes.  Shoe Goo works wonders on damaged shoe soles and ranges from about $5-8.  Even super glue works well if you need them fixed ASAP.

A quick fix for pesky skid marks or blemishes on shoes are erasers.  Any kind of rubber eraser works great and whisks away marks in seconds.  Or if you’re sporting a pair of scuffed black shoes a Sharpie pen will work just fine.

Heels are a staple in my wardrobe.  I will wear them whenever and as often as I can.  Strutting those bad boys around certainly puts a strain on the tiny stiletto heel.  I’ve worn many a heel down to the very core after a long weekend of walking around.  A simple and cheap fix are Quick Tips.  These usually cost about $7.99, they come in different colors to blend in with your heel and they last a pretty long time.  They just cap right over the bottom of the heel tip.

If you’re in need of shoes to go with that perfect LBD and it’s just not in the funds to buy a whole new pair, you can dress up a simple pair of black heels for practically nothing.  All you need are two bobby pins, some ribbon, and some glue and you’re set.  Some cute bows on the heel of the shoe add a little something extra to those simple heels.  The bows are detachable so you don’t have to commit to changing your shoes forever.  

These are just a few quick, easy, and most importantly affordable tricks to getting the most out of your shoes when you’re just not ready to part with them yet.  

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!