Jackie Murphy ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Tell us about your position with Intern Queen:
I am UNH Campus Ambassador for Intern Queen Inc. Intern Queen is a great online resource that matches active women and men with dream internships free of cost! In total I am amongst over 100 campus ambassadors worldwide. My responsibilities include promoting the online resource and coordinating, publicizing, and managing Intern Queen related events on campus. I also create written and recorded blog entries for the website that reaches over 40,000 people monthly and invent creative ways to make Intern Queen partner brands known in Durham. I applied for and received this position while completing my summer internship at the Avedis Zildjian Company, the world’s leading cymbal producer; it was here I realized the importance of professional experience. Currently I am at work trying to bring the CEO, Lauren Berger to speak on our campus and have already emailed a total of 19 campus administrators in my attempt.

(Here’s Jackie, on the left, with another one of our Her Campus writers, Kim!) 

What kind of internships are posted on it?
You can choose from a broad range of industries including: Advertising, Fashion, Health, Hospitality, Marketing, Music, Non-Profit, and many more. One of my favorite internships currently on the site is for Seventeen Magazine in New York City.

Where can we access Intern Queen information?
You can access Intern Queen by going towww.internqueen.com and creating an account to which you upload your resume to and apply to internships of your choice! The site keeps track of your information, applications, resumes, and bookmarked (favorite) internships. The site itself also has a wonderful blog that offers internship related advice. My latest blog entry was about dressing professional and is currently up!

(Or check out Intern Queen on Twitter!) 

What locations are the internships in?
Most posted internships are located in New York, California, Massachusetts and other major cities. Some internships are also virtual, which allows a student to work from school or home. Even the Intern Queen CEO Lauren Berger herself has virtual interns.

Can collegiettes participate in internships during the school year or just the summer?
Collegiates can participate in internships during the school year and/or summer, it’s their choice! They can even do two internships at once if they choose to. It is all based on commitment, if a student can commit to a particular internship or internships then they should apply!

Any useful tips you would provide collegiettes today about applying for internships?
Internships are extremely important! Employers want to see that you have relevant experience before hiring you. Stay organized in your internship application process and remember the importance of connections. Personally, I keep a detailed excel sheet of what internships I am interested in, which I have applied to and on what date, and remember to follow up and keep track of my connections. It is always better to have a direct email and person to reach out to at the companies you apply to as opposed to addressing your cover letter ‘to whom it may concern.

Can others get involved with Intern Queen?

Laura Tentas is a Junior Business Marketing major at the University of New Hampshire's Whittemore School of Business and Economics. She is the Vice President of the Marketing and Advertising Club at the Whittemore School and past Vice President of Recruitment for her sorority, Alpha Phi International Fraternity, Eta Alpha Chapter. Laura enjoys snowboarding, bikram yoga and anything to do with the ocean. She hopes to some day write a novel and her favorite TV show is Law and Order SVU.