Style > Beauty

Is the Dyson Airwrap Worth the High Price Tag?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

After seeing a video on TikTik over a year ago of a girl using the Dyson Airwrap to achieve an effortless at home blow-out that she claimed lasted her for days, I haven’t taken it off my wishlist. However, like many people, the $550 price tag was always too much for me to see as reasonable to ask for as a gift. Plus, as a broke college student, I would never be able to rationalize the purchase myself, so I came to terms with the fact I would have to stick with my eight-year-old hairdryer and sparkly purple CHI flat iron. Despite thinking I would never get to own the Dyson myself, I have spent many hours of my life scrolling through Tiktoks under the Dyson Airwrap hashtag, jealous of every girl who all boasted the same voluminous results.

This past week, by some miracle, my grandma gifted me the Airwrap as an early birthday gift. Therefore, I have spent the past week testing out all of the different attachments, watching tutorials, and taking photos of my normally limp, lifeless hair in its new shiny and voluminous form. I’m now here to tell you if I think that there is actually a hair tool out there that is worth this high of a price tag. My answer: Absolutely yes.

One of the main aspects of the Airwrap that stood out to me the most was its claim that it is far less damaging than normal heat tools. I have been bleaching my naturally dark brown hair to an almost platinum shade for the past four years. Therefore, I’ve tried to use as little heat as possible, only styling my hair with my flat iron on special occasions. However, the Dyson isn’t like a curling iron because it uses a strong airflow and low heat. It also continuously measures the temperature of the airflow 40 times per second to ensure it doesn’t get too hot! This was a very attractive feature to me, being a girl with already wrecked strands. After using the hairdryer, smoothing brush, and curling attachments, I can attest to the fact that my hair feels far less damaged than after using a normal curling iron. My hair had the same texture and softness as when I naturally dry my hair, instead of the dry damaged feeling after wrapping it around a 400-degree curling iron. 

Of course, the main drawing point of the Airwrap was the curling attachments. For those of you that haven’t seen the Airwrap in action, the tool uses something that they call the Coanda effect. The barrels wrap the strand of hair around itself using a fast-moving stream of air. I was skeptical at first, but it is so interesting to watch happen and is incredibly easy to use. On my first try, I was able to curl my entire head of hair in forty minutes. This may seem like a long time, but my hair started out soaking wet out of the shower. I was able to both dry and curl my hair in only forty minutes. 

Now, something a lot of people worry about is if the curls from the Airwrap last. Normally, my curls from a curling iron will last me a good hour or two before slowly falling throughout the rest of the day until I’m left with limp curls by the end of the night. However, on my first use of the Dyson, my blowout lasted me all day, and into the next afternoon, with no hairspray. I achieved this by using the “cool shot” feature to cool down each curl before taking it off the barrel. I would like to point out that naturally, I have fairly thin, almost straight, fine hair. Therefore, my hair is able to be styled with low heat and lasts all day. For someone with naturally curly hair, the low heat may not be enough to make their styled hair last all day. 

To conclude, after owning the Dyson Airwrap for a week now, I can say that I can see how people justify the price. My hair has never looked so bouncy, shiny, and perfectly styled. My hair has looked like I just left the salon every day since I bought it. So, if you’re someone who likes to style their hair every day and wants to avoid excessive heat damage, I think this tool would be perfect for you. However, if you’re someone who only styles their hair on special occasions, I don’t think that it is necessary to purchase such an expensive tool. Remember, everyone’s hair reacts differently to tools and products so the Dyson may not work for you. I recommend doing research on your individual hair type and to read reviews from other users with similar hair to see what their experience has been!

HI! I'm Mickie Lawyer and I am a sophomore at the University of New Hampshire. I am a business administration major from Brattleboro, Vermont!