Inside the Theatre: Breaking Dawn Pt. 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

By: Michelle Vizzo

As the lights dim, cheers erupt from the crippling seats upholstered in patterns only recognizable from your grandma’s dusty living room. Despite this, the back breakers and neck kinkers are filled to capacity with anxious fans who waited in line, and even ordered tickets a week in advance to see Breaking Dawn Pt. 2

The energy in the theater is undeniable. A general buzz bounces from seat to seat as audience members try and contain their excitement at the unraveling of the opening scene.

But there are some things than any tween, college student, parent, or even grandparent cannot keep harnessed inside them – the need to squeal and slap at the person sitting to your left at the appearance of Taylor Lautner’s name on the screen. Or more importantly, his abs.

Screaming continues but pitters out with the introduction of Robert Pattinson, and then Kristen Stewart (the couple that is no more). The audience has had enough of the opening credits; they’ve already waited long enough for the feature film.

The movie immediately sweeps viewers into a fast paced drama, putting an end to the original love triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob, and instead exploring the possible separation of the now expanded Cullen family.

After the first Taylor Launtner ab reveal, the audience remains under control until the movie strays from the worshiped book. “That didn’t happen in the book.. No, THAT DID NOT HAPPEN IN THE BOOK!” Chairs screech back and forth as viewers disregard the no talking policy and band together to decipher what’s happening on the screen.  

A curve ball is thrown to fans that love and study the books – but the bonus scene satisfies the lack of action some readers found at the height of Breaking Dawn’s climax in print. However, the movie only crowd is left confused by the TwiHeart’s uproar at the surprise fall of their beloved characters.

Peace is once again restored when viewers of from book clubs and film watchers alike are grounded from a flash into the future that brings movie back to where the book left off.

The screen goes dark and Part 2 appears to be over, but the readers of the series know not to get up just yet. One very important, unforgettable scene remains.

Christina Perri’s, A Thousand Years comes through the speakers as viewers are taken back through Bella’s memories to the first Twilight and then all the way through Bella and Edward’s story to date.

I have died everyday waiting for you. Darlin’ don’t be afraid I have loved you for a thousand years. I’ll love you for a thousand more,” viewers sing along as the song hits its popular chorus.

Some hold hands, others gush over when the two first met, and a few are left teary eyed when the screen shifts to book pages and the iconic final word is illuminated on the screen,.

Forever.

End credits pay tribute to all main actors in any of the five films. From Xavier Samuels and Jodelle Ferland (Riley Biers and Bree Tanner in Eclipse), to Bella’s human friends in Twilight, Anna Kendrick (Jessica Stanley), Michael Welch (Mike Newton), Christian Serratos (Angela Weber), and Justin Chon (Eric Yorkie).

In just 115 minutes, the end of an era is met when theater lighting returns to normal. The release of Breaking Dawn Part 2 marks the end of The Twilight saga.

Dazzled viewers are herded out of the theater and released into the roped off lobby where new fans are pressed up against the walls eagerly waiting, hoping to secure a good seat for the next showing. The second wave of TwiHearts hold hands over their ears to avoid any plot spoilers.

The theater will be cleaned quickly, tickets will be checked, and the ride will begin again for another anxious audience.

If you’re a die-hard Stephanie Meyer fan, there’s no need to lose sleep. The Host, will be hitting theaters March 29, 2013. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!
Leah Tully is currently studying nutrition, wellness, and writing at the University of New Hampshire.