Culture > News

What To Expect During The Solar Eclipse On April 8th

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes in front of the sun and casts a shadow across Earth. It is not visible, or will not occur for everyone to see, so those that can see this are lucky! Fortunately, New Hampshire is one of the states to experience this opportunity. Most of New Hampshire will experience a partial solar eclipse, while northern New Hampshire will be visible to the total solar eclipse.

Many people from around the world are traveling to view this great natural sight. It is short, but for a few minutes in the afternoon the sky will dim, and temperatures will drop in some areas while the moon passes exactly over the sun’s light. This is special for New Hampshire because a solar eclipse last occurred in 1959 and won’t happen again for another 55 years in 2079! Cameras and photos will not capture the special sight, but do not look directly at the sky! Make sure to wear eclipse glasses to protect your eyes.

Although here in Durham we will not be stunned by this total eclipse, it is crazy to learn about and that it is happening so close to us! Many people are interested in viewing this beautiful sight, so students should try to take a drive up north on Monday for this rare experience! Here at UNH, students can join each other on Thompson Hall lawn at 2 p.m. to get their glasses and view the partial eclipse!

More information can be found here:

Visit NH : Total Solar Eclipse

Total Solar Eclipse 2024 New Hampshire — Great American Eclipse

Solar Eclipse Facts: Interesting Facts about Total Solar Eclipses (theplanets.org)

Maddy Montejo is currently a freshman at UNH with a business major. She is from Massachusetts. She loves to travel, the beach, and hang with friends.