I Tried These Tik Tok Trends So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We all know Tik Tok has taken the world by storm. Everyone has Tik Tok and even the ones that don’t have probably seen a Tik Tok before in their life. I tend to find myself on the food and beauty side of Tik Tok most often which leads to many new recipes and beauty hacks I can try out for myself. All of my favorite recipes will be linked below!

Salmon Rice Bowl

The first one I tried out was the salmon rice bowl popularized by Emily Mariko. It consists of white rice, salmon, avocado, soy sauce, Sriracha, and Kewpie mayo. I ended up using jasmine rice as I enjoy long-grain rice better. I cooked my salmon in the oven and then broke it into little pieces. Instead of soy sauce, I used coconut aminos since I’m trying to cut down on sodium. I also did not have Kewpie mayo on hand, so I mixed regular mayo with some rice vinegar and a tiny bit of sugar (it was amazing, btw). Overall, it was pretty good! I accidentally may have overcooked the salmon so it was a little dry but it was still tasty! I may make this again but it’s not something I’m dying to eat again and again. 

Feta Pasta

My tried and true favorite Tik Tok recipe is the feta pasta. It’s made with a whole block of feta, cherry or grape tomatoes, spinach, garlic, olive oil, and pasta along with any seasonings you may desire. It’s so easy to make since you just have to bake the feta and tomatoes for around 35 minutes and combine with the pasta. It also makes a ton so it’s great to make with friends! Adding some freshly grated parmesan cheese is a great touch to make it extra cheesy. 

Slugging

When I first heard of this trend, I thought it was absolutely bonkers. This beauty trend involves applying a thin layer of Petroleum Jelly a.k.a. Vaseline after applying your skin care before you go to bed. The thought behind it is that Vaseline locks in the moisture. You can also put it over your acne treatment and it’s supposed to keep the medication in the skin. I was very skeptical of that trend, especially since I have oily skin. The night I decided to try this trend, I had some pretty gnarly pimples that needed to be shrunk down. Salicylic acid doesn’t usually touch my pimples and it takes forever for them to go away. When I tell you I was SHOOK when I woke up the next morning. My pimples had practically vanished overnight. It was magical. While I wouldn’t recommend doing this every day, it is perfect for the drier months and for treating pimples. 

Blush Application

I had always applied blush straight to the apples of my cheeks as that’s what I had been taught growing up as well as the rest of the world. Recently, makeup artists have been recommending applying your blush to the top of your cheekbones to help lift the face. While I was skeptical at first, I found that it totally lifted my face compared to when I applied the blush only to the apples of my cheeks!

just your average nursing major trying to survive:)