How to Train for Your First Half Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

When you hear the word “marathon” is the first thing you think of binge-watching your favorite shows on Netflix? If so, you may think of yourself as someone who could never run 13.1 miles at once.

Well ladies, the good news is that running a half marathon is something that everyone can do. The bad news? It takes months of hard work, dedication, endurance, sweat, pain, maybe even some tears and just a of couple blisters. So, at this point you’re probably wondering why anyone would want to put themselves through the torture of all that just to cross a finish line. The answer: running is not only a workout but it is a lifestyle that you only truly understand once you start. How do you go from being an elliptical fanatic to running over 13 miles?

Check out these tips to help! 

Get in the Runner State of Mind: There are thousands of magazines, books and social media posts by runners for runners. Runner’s World Magazine is a terrific way to learn about everything from the importance of proper nutrition to new stretching positions. When you’re done reading, keep it on your coffee table. It will serve as great motivation when you sit down for your morning coffee to schedule in a run later that day.  For daily photos, follow two-time Olympian runner Kara Goucher’s Twitter or Instagram or Scott Jurek’s blog “Eat and Run” for tips on how to maintain a vegetarian or vegan diet while training.

Download a Fantastic Playlist: Pandora and Spotify are good for getting ready to go out or studying. But for runs a random selection of songs can seriously alter your pace.  Take some of your favorite Pandora Radio stations and download the songs. Put slower songs first, then more pump-up tunes in the middle, and end with slower songs. This will help you maintain a great pace during your run and keep up your attention and stamina!

Get a Running Schedule and (Almost) Stick to It: Hal Higdon Training Plans are the best for any type of runner.  Hidgon, a writer and runner, collaborated both his love for writing and running to produce over 30 full-length training books. Higdon’s training schedules range from all different distances, lengths of time, and running levels.  For new runners, choose the Novice 1 schedule. It will take you from 3 miles to 13 in just twelve weeks. Take the Hidgon’s principles of rest days, cross training and running and make it your own because no one’s weeks are perfectly planned. Print out your schedule and hang it up next to your door or bed.  Cross out each new distance on the schedule as you accomplish it!

*side note* Do not follow the plans exactly as written. If you have family dinner every Sunday and can’t manage long runs on that day, choose Thursdays instead. 

Start Running: Grab a hat and gloves, and go outside. Start out small and listen to your body. Pick routes that are easy at first and as you build endurance add hills, tough sandy sections to run on, or run an old route but faster.  If you use your iPhone to listen to music then put it on Do Not Disturb mode while you run, so you don’t get distracted with every Snapchat or text.  Most importantly, do not get discouraged. The first few runs will be tough and tiresome. Give yourself two weeks until you notice your body adjusting and getting stronger. 

Research Races: Once you have mastered your first six miles, you will probably feel amazing and hooked. This is a great time to start looking into races near you in the warmer months. When researching races check important things like incline, average temperatures, themes and price.  Races can be expensive, so look into running for a charity or as a volunteer, which is a great way to reach out to other people to raise money and meet other runners. Registration can fill up fast. When you find a race that you want to do, sign up early!

The Week of The Half Marathon: Your first half marathon can be scary but believe it or not you have already done the hard part. A few days before treat yourself to a new running outfit but keep the same old sneakers you’ve trained in.  Two days before the race drink lots of water and put your feet up.  The actual race is often a lot easier because adrenaline kicks in once you see the people cheering you on and handing out water along the sidelines and knowing your friends are anxiously waiting for you at the finish.  The night before is the most important! Get a great night sleep and wake up to your usual pre-run breakfast. When you’re at the start line take three deep breaths, stretch and start: There are beverages and a medal waiting for you at the end. 

After your first race you will find yourself picking up your sneakers instead of the remote, or choosing to watch “Orange is the New Black” on the treadmill instead of in your bed.  This is a clear sign that you have been bitten by the running bug and have many more half marathons ahead of you!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!