This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
Stick with friends

Plan to go out with friends- and remember, no sisters left behind! The buddy system is extremely helpful in preventing unwanted interactions with strangers. If you can’t go with friends, try an app such as Life360 or NoonLight to make sure you get home safe. Don’t let your friends leave with strangers! Especially if they seem to be on the verge of unconsciousness or if they have a slight doubt on if they should go.

Don’t let strangers give you drinks

One of the biggest reasons women (and men!) end up in unwanted situations is by accepting drinks from strangers. Remember that you never have to accept anything from anyone! Only accept unopened drinks (like new cans, bottles or ones that you pour yourself) or drinks that you watch a bartender make and hand directly to you. Who knows what that random guy who offered you a rum and coke could have put in it? Or maybe you put your drink down for a second and lift it up for a sip to see it fizzing an odd amount? What if that girl you gave your drink to while you went to the bathroom put it down or slipped something in it?

Don’t go somewhere you aren’t comfortable with

Did that cute person that you were dancing with ask you to go home with them? Congratulations! Before you leave with them, ask yourself if you actually want to go with them. If you do want to, make sure to tell a friend exactly where you’re going and find out that person’s name! You never have to go anywhere with anyone – especially if there’s any red flags passing through your mind. Your safety comes before their happiness! <3

back out – don’t blackout

DO NOT drink until you black out! If you’re drinking until you aren’t able to remember what you did that night, you won’t be conscious enough to make decisions!

DD – Designated driver

If you plan on drinking at all when you go out, make sure to find a sober friend who is willing to drive you or pick you up. It’s illegal (and DANGEROUS) to get behind the wheel while drunk. I know, I know everyone knows this but there’s always that person who thinks they won’t get in a collision behind the wheel.

In general, just remember to have fun, but also stay safe! I know Halloweekend is a good time to let go and relax so don’t let an unsafe situation take over your weekend!

Hi there! I'm Lanie & I am a senior at the University of New Hampshire as a veterinary technician student. :) I am a sister of Alpha Xi Delta and a huge animal lover, and a caffeine addict!