Life > Academics

How To Build A Great LinkedIn Profile

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Building a great LinkedIn profile is crucial for networking, job hunting and professional branding. Here are some steps to create a great LinkedIn profile:

Profile Picture

Start with your profile picture. Choose a professional and high-quality photo where you’re dressed appropriately for your industry. It’s important to use a photo you feel confident in since this is what people will see when they click on your profile.

Headline

Your headline is another important part of your LinkedIn profile. Craft a concise and descriptive headline that reflects your current role, key skills and career aspirations. Highlight your unique values/attributes and what sets you apart from others. Most college students will use “Student at ______ University”.

Summary

The summary section on LinkedIn serves as a concise yet impactful introduction to who you are as a professional. Write a compelling summary that showcases your professional background, accomplishments and career objectives. It’s important to try and keep it concise, engaging and focused on your career story and goals. You can even use keywords relevant to your industry to enhance searchability. The summary section can be almost like personal storytelling. It can provide a platform to share your professional journey, but in a narrative format. This can make your profile more engaging and memorable. Most college students will include a description of accomplishments at their specific university.

Experience

The purpose of the experience section is to showcase your professional background, with your current and past positions, job titles and employers. Start by listing your work experience in reverse chronological order. Use detailed descriptions of your roles, responsibilities, and achievements in each position.

Skills and Endorsements

The “Skills & Endorsements” section highlights your strengths, expertise and strengths in specific areas. I would recommend including a diverse range of skills relevant to your industry you are entering. Highlight your strengths.

Education

Moving onto education, add your educational background, including degrees, certifications and relevant coursework. Include any academic achievements, honors or awards you received (Dean’s List, Valedictorian, etc.)

Additional Sections
Take advantage of additional sections like Volunteer Experience, Projects, Publications and Languages to showcase diverse aspects of your professional profile. I’ve included links to papers I have written that I am passionate about. I suggest including relevant volunteer work or extra curricula’s that highlight your interests and skills outside of work.

Custom URL

Customize your LinkedIn profile URL to make it more professional and easier to share/find. It can easily be changed under your profile under the “Public Profile & URL” tab. 

Keep Regular Updates

Try and keep your profile up to date with your latest experiences, skills and accomplishments. Share relevant industry news, insights, and achievements to engage your network. I would recommend following/liking pages that you are interested so their content pops up without you having to search for it.

By following these steps and optimizing each section of your LinkedIn profile, you can help showcase your professional brand and expand your network. I hope this helps!

University of New Hampshire’24 Business Administration Major