How To: Survive Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Finals are right around the corner, and here are a few pointers to stay on top of things.

Get started early
I know it’s hard to motivate yourself to study your butt off at library when you still have two weeks left till finals, but I promise you – this is a decision you WON’T regret! Ideally you should pretend your test is 3 days earlier than it actually is, so thar you can use those 3 days to review. This does not only guarantee a good grade,  it will also take away a lot of the stress.

Exercise
It’s very easy to skip the gym and blame it on too much schoolwork, but in the end it won’t be to your benefit. Getting daily exercise will keep you focused, healthy and more balanced during the stressful exam time. And remember, you don’t have to stay for 1 ½ hours in order to get a good work out. Just do as much as you feel you can fit into your schedule. Another good tip is to do fun activities with friends. Take a kickboxing class, go play racquetball or run outside in the beautiful fall-weather together.

You are what you eat
This is common knowledge, but still important to mention. If you eat waffles for breakfast, burgers for lunch and pizza for dinner, you won’t just look worse, you’ll feel worse! Take the time to make/eat proper foods that will help you focus and perform well on your tests. Well known “brain foods” are bananas, salmon, dark chocolate, walnuts, turkey, etc. This list goes on and on, so if you’re curious for more healthy foods that supposedly make you smarter, just do some research online.

Stay hydrated
Staying hydrated is vital if you want to keep your game on. Always carry a water bottle with you, and don’t wait to drink until you’re thirsty, then you’ve waited too long! Try to drink around 8 glasses of water per day, and even more if you’re drinking coffee since coffee makes your body lose more water than it normally would.

Get enough sleep
This might be the most important one, GET TO BED! Don’t stay up till 3 in the morning studying; you’re not going to be able to stay sharp for that long. Start early with the studying process, so it doesn’t harm your sleeping habits. And if your sleeping habits are already bad, change them! Make time for your body to rest and recharge its batteries.

Celebrate
My favorite part; the celebration when it’s all over! Plan on doing something extra fun after your last day of exams, so you have something to look forward to!

GOOD LUCK!

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.